Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-05-2012, 04:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

20 Year Old Just Starting- Need some advice on a few things

What has turned into mowing a few of my neighbor's lawns has grown into something bigger and is almost a full time business because so many people have asked if I could take care of their yards as well, and I am really enjoying it. I am just getting into the lawn-care and landscaping business so I need some advice on a few things. I apologize in advance if I sound like I do not know much, because I don't

1. Licensing- Where and how do you get licensed and insured? Just curious as I was talking to some one about it and I had no idea that I had to get licensed before this. Right now this is just a side business, as I have a primary job as well. I also have been keeping track of my earnings and expenses for tax purposes, I just need to know what I need to do to get licensed.

2. Advertising- I plan on growing eventually, probably starting January 2013. What would be the best way for me to advertise what I am doing?

3. Equipment- All I have right now are a pair of Toro Super Recyclers, a Snapper Hi Vac and some miscellaneous power and hand tools. I already have a pair of Commercial 21 inch mowers (most of yards have a fence where you can barely fit a 21 inch mower through) and I also have trimmers and blowers picked out that I am saving up for, but I also want to look into getting a large walk behind mower preferably a 48 inch. What are some of the top mowers out there people would recommend, and for decent prices? I have been looking into Exmark, Ferris, Toro and Scag mowers, and mostly floating deck models because from my understanding they are much easier to adjust the cutting height on.

Also if some people recommend good zero turn mowers and if they would think I would absolutely need one let me know.