Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #11  
Old 07-05-2012, 09:13 PM
Patriot Services's Avatar
Patriot Services Patriot Services is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tampa FL
Posts: 8,685
Personal theory on testing at past TDC. If there is any ridge at the cylinder top it can interfere with the ring to cylinder contact. I have an OTC model that's probably 20 years old. This is important info. Guys throw tons of parts at a problem when only to find out its lacking enough compression to even start.

But that's what Motor Honey is made for. Right?
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-06-2012, 05:35 AM
andy35321 andy35321 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: georgia
Posts: 153
So patriot where do you go 1/4 past tdc. Thanks for all the replies.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-06-2012, 09:30 AM
piston slapper's Avatar
piston slapper piston slapper is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Tampa Fl
Posts: 4,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Personal theory on testing at past TDC. If there is any ridge at the cylinder top it can interfere with the ring to cylinder contact. I have an OTC model that's probably 20 years old. This is important info. Guys throw tons of parts at a problem when only to find out its lacking enough compression to even start.

But that's what Motor Honey is made for. Right?
Posted via Mobile Device
If there is a ridge at the top of the bore...there is probably another just like it at the bottom of the bore..The ridge is a result of worn rings and/or a "Piston Slappin' "..As the purpose of the leakdown test is to best figure the internal condition of the valves and rings without taking it apart..The more info you can get...The better...
__________________
If You Have All The Answers...Except The One You Need...You're Not Trying Hard Enough...
Do The Work
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-07-2012, 06:06 PM
BigFish's Avatar
BigFish BigFish is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: chesapeake, va
Posts: 1,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashby View Post
Why go past tdc? Both valves should be closed, right? I've used a leakdown tester once, but couldnt justify buying one. I take the schraeder valve out of my compression gauge and hook the quick coupler directly to shop air at TDC. I have an adapter since the coupler on the compression tester is different than the one I use for my air tools. I have used a rubber tipped blow gun before when I didnt have the adapter available. I cant figure peercentage of leakdown, but I can tell where the leak is and how bad by how much air is flowing.
Hey, that works! I've used the ol' blowgun trick many times! Either way, ya gotta get past the point where the ACR is holding one of the valves open. Usually you have to bring the piston PAST top dead center by about a quarter inch or so. On OHV units, you can check the rockers for play and go with that.
__________________
" But let me tell you something ,folks: You can't fix stupid! There's not a pill you can take, there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever!"

......AMF!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-07-2012, 06:11 PM
BigFish's Avatar
BigFish BigFish is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: chesapeake, va
Posts: 1,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy35321 View Post
You have to go 1/4 past tdc to do leakdown.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes, both valves have to be closed.
__________________
" But let me tell you something ,folks: You can't fix stupid! There's not a pill you can take, there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever!"

......AMF!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-07-2012, 06:18 PM
piston slapper's Avatar
piston slapper piston slapper is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Tampa Fl
Posts: 4,027
Just loosen the rocker arms...pop them off the pushrods...and put the air to the cylinders...
Keep it simple...
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-07-2012, 06:21 PM
Patriot Services's Avatar
Patriot Services Patriot Services is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tampa FL
Posts: 8,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by piston slapper View Post
Just loosen the rocker arms...pop them off the pushrods...and put the air to the cylinders...
Keep it simple...
Posted via Mobile Device
Your assuming the person loosening the valves has the skills to readjust them. But that will be another thread.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-07-2012, 06:24 PM
andy35321 andy35321 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: georgia
Posts: 153
I like to keep it simple. Most times when I adjust valves I just open one then adjust the other. And do the same for the other.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-07-2012, 07:48 PM
piston slapper's Avatar
piston slapper piston slapper is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Tampa Fl
Posts: 4,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Your assuming the person loosening the valves has the skills to readjust them. But that will be another thread.
Posted via Mobile Device
Another thread indeed....
Exposing the people with leakdown testers that don't know how to adjust valves..
By the time I have to perform a leakdown test....the head is usually coming off anyway...for one reason or another...
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-07-2012, 08:50 PM
Bashby Bashby is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Charles Town WV
Posts: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
Hey, that works! I've used the ol' blowgun trick many times! Either way, ya gotta get past the point where the ACR is holding one of the valves open. Usually you have to bring the piston PAST top dead center by about a quarter inch or so. On OHV units, you can check the rockers for play and go with that.
I'm used to working on cars, no compression release. So the acr holds the exhaust valve open at tdc on compression stroke?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:17 AM.

Page generated in 0.07506 seconds with 9 queries