Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-07-2012, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Just at the very top and only during starting. Centrifugal force pulls the ACR back after it starts.

I used to ride a Honda XR500 that had a manual release. Big pain trying to kick it over and time letting go the cr lever. Get it wrong and your damn near get your leg broke. Wonderful advancement, takes a lot of strain off starters and recoils.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-07-2012, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Just kidding on adjusting valves. I always follow manual.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-07-2012, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Member

How much $ would a kohler leakdown tester be? And how many different Kohler leakdown test kits are there?
Old 07-07-2012, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Harbor Freight has one for 49 bucks. Will work on most any gas engine as it screws into the standard sparkplug sizes.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-07-2012, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Id rather go with the kohler one like Slapper suggests and has. So im wondering where i can get one and how much are they? because i work on kohler engines and also work on others but usually kohler. Im also very close to taking the kohler test and getting my certification. Ive heard its pretty much an open book test. Is this true?
Old 07-08-2012, 09:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
Just at the very top and only during starting. Centrifugal force pulls the ACR back after it starts.

I used to ride a Honda XR500 that had a manual release. Big pain trying to kick it over and time letting go the cr lever. Get it wrong and your damn near get your leg broke. Wonderful advancement, takes a lot of strain off starters and recoils.
Posted via Mobile Device
Depends on the engine. Some just have a "bump' on the cam lobe that holds the valve open at low crank speeds, the "bump" is always there but the duration is such that it has negligible effect at operating speeds.

All this babble about rocker arms/adj. etc. Do I gotta remind ya about L-heads, I'm sure y'all remember them, no?

Before ya buy that HF tester, read the reviews, most are not good!

The Kohler tester can be found here: http://www.kohlerengines.com/common/...ts-catalog.pdf You can prolly get it from your Kohler dist. or directly from Kohler.

Personally, I much prefer my OTC unit, if you do any 2 cycle work, you'll come to appreciate the 10mm adapter.

......AMF!
Old 07-08-2012, 03:16 PM
LawnSite Member

I would never buy a leakdown tester from HF because the quality isnt good nor are the reviews good. Id rather spend more for the otc one or just get the kohler one. I also work on 2 cycle sometimes but very rarely.
Old 07-08-2012, 03:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Ive also heard on the earlier briggs ohv engines the ACR would go bad and act like it needs a valve adjustment but, ends up needing to replace the whole camshaft. Anyone seen this before??