Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
Where are the MODS when we need them?
Regarding?
Old 07-07-2012, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmonster304 View Post
I think you are missing the point. If you don't have the right pressure you won't get close in watering because the water dosent "atomize" with low pressure regardless of the head unless its an impact head. Don't wast your money on the 6505s the same thing will happen. The rain curtain works great with 45 lbs.
Posted via Mobile Device
Ok, well that might be the problem. Here is the chart of my water supply with the sprinkler running, it doesnt look to good.

This was taken with the zone open in which i have 2 #5 nozzles installed in my 5004 heads
50 psi - 0 GPM (static)
closing the backflow preventor ball valve to reduce the flow
40 psi - 1.0 GPM
35 psi - 3.3 GPM
30 psi - 5.0 GPM
25 psi - 6.25 GPM

Some other data from the sprinkler

2 #6 nozzle zone open i get 20PSI at 7.5GPM
4 Nozzles (2,3,3,3) i get 22psi and 7.0GPM
2#5 nozzles again, i get 22psi and 6.8GPM

I did not do a measurement with every sink and tub on in the house, i suppose the meausrement is substantially higher. I just wanted to see what the sprinkler was doing. Should i?
Old 07-07-2012, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
Regarding?
This thread that is going nowhere.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
This thread that is going nowhere.
Many of them do from my experiance. Shape it up, you are the expert.

The OP actually is bringing data better than most
Old 07-07-2012, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
Many of them do from my experiance. Shape it up, you are the expert.

The OP actually is bringing data better than most
The OP IS learning and hauling it to the gate, but I still think he's screwed. That was my only point.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbosl2 View Post
Here is a pick from the 2nd floor. You can see the greener lines are at the end of the arc where there tends to be larger water droplets. On a hot sunny day inside the arc area looks heat stressed. This is watering 45mins per zone starting at about 3am, but the soil will be dry as a bone at the end of the day, like you didnt even water. It will stay green where those large water droplets end.

So i guess the question is, based on my revised numbers a few posts ago (34-38' on 4 or 5GPM nozzles with the 5004s, should i buy 6504 or maxipaws.
Looking at the pics, it appears you may have problems other than water distribution. The browned out patches are indicative of either fungus, some other pathogen or pest; in the South my guess is cinch. It's difficult to tell without a closeup. Also those straight lines on the turf indicate poor distribution of fertilizer, not water.

As a rule of thumb and without agonizing over minutiae, 45 minutes wouldn't be long enough for rotators on open fields exposed to full sun. unless I personally saw there was no head to head coverage, I'd increase watering time to 60 minutes, on full sun zones as much as 75 minutes.

Just saying, if this were in my neck of the woods, I would suggest your problem may not be irrigation alone... or at all. Post these pictures on the pesticide forum without mentioning the concern about irrigation and get some opinions there.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it"
Old 07-07-2012, 09:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

maxipaws suck ass and will not perform any better than the 5000's when distance is a concern. Look it up in the charts ... the very same charts that boots loves.

If the OP is truly irrigating pure sand, that begs the question why the hell did you plant turf there without amending the soil.

I agree with jvan that the turf has problems that are not directly irrigation related, however there are also some clear indications of irrigation problems, both design and management.

@turbos

The only numbers that mean anything in your ball valve flow test are the first and last, the rest are guesses.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbosl2 View Post
You are close, its a 7acre lot where i set the house from the road a long distance
How far are you from the road? If your service line begins at the road, pressure loss could be substantial from there to your house. Particularly if undersized and/or a long distance.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you do go maxi paws which I consider to be a fine head and sometimes the best solution in low pressure nasty water situations then you need one of these. Keeping the grass trimmed around a maxi paw is imperative.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MUql...e_gdata_player

I've solved some pizz poor pgp rotor type installs with maxi paws. I've also used them to replace maxed out rainjet systems. No head in that distance range can you cheat on the spacing like you can with a maxi paw.
Closed Thread