Register free!

Old 06-29-2012, 02:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Which one comes first?!

I am looking into doing some lawn renovations and fall clean-ups this year. which one comes first, cleaning up the leaves and disposing of them in the fall, OR overseeding? I know they both get done in the fall, but approximate timing of this will really help out. Thanks! Also, on overseeding: if you slit seed or aerate then spread the seed with a spreader, does this reduce the need for top dressing since the seed is deposited straight into the soil?
Old 06-30-2012, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

We never use topdressing but I insist that we always aerate when seeding.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Member

overseeding late august until early mid october. seed first then vertticut, verticut will place seed in ground

leaves late october to christmas
Old 07-10-2012, 09:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnboyskc View Post
overseeding late august until early mid october. seed first then vertticut, verticut will place seed in ground

leaves late october to christmas
thanks, the timing makes since now. But i thought that you would always want to slitseed and that machine actually places the seed in the ground for you? if i spread the seed, then verticut, how is the grass seed getting deposited that way? the grass seed still just sits there on the ground
Old 07-10-2012, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I try to get my seed down before the heavy leaf fall starts beginning in late August or early September. My cut-off date is around November 15th but that is pushing it.

Why would you slit seed and also spread seed with a spreader? I either aerate and broadcast the seed or aerate and then slit seed. I will put shredded straw on bare areas but don't topdress. If you aerate and then broadcast seed, some will fall into the holes and some will end up under soil pulled from the holes. Aerating and seeding can help to thicken up a lawn but it's no substitute for slit seeding in my opinion, in most cases anyway. I have actually tilled bare lawn areas with an aerator before, but how well it works depends a lot on the soil type and moisture level.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Verticut, aeration, slit seed, no prep--we need side by side comparisons. Is anyone willing to try it? With this heat and dryness--I expect a lot of fall seeding.

Cool season grasses seed when temp in early fall drops below 85. Seed comes up quick is soil is warm...provided there is good moisture. Try to seed 8 weeks before frost.

Warm season grasses should be seeded when temps go above 85 in early summer, 8 weeks after frost--so I have heard--I live up north.