Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-08-2012, 07:36 AM
LawnSite Member

Have a TT with the 29 dfi with 3500 hrs.Still runs and mows great. Had a Cheetah for a two week demo. Suspension was awesome, mowing speed was about the same, you sit alot higher, glad to get back to the TT
The TT has the fuel tank under the seat which interferes with the platform suspension. If scag can figure a way around that ...
Old 07-08-2012, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Member

GrumpyDave, Why were u glad to get back to your TT?
Old 07-09-2012, 12:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
This is interesting; any mower prior to this point with a Vanguard engine normally sold for 3, to sometimes 5 hundred less. Kawasaki has a well-established name that people are familiar with and willing to pay more money to own, kinda of like JD farm equipment.

Vanguard because of being associated with the Briggs name has been trying very hard to build their reputation. I personally believe a Vanguard is the best mower engine on the market today, but they've had a very hard time overcoming the old Briggs engine reputation.

What you've stated about there being no difference in price between the same mower with either a Kawasaki or Briggs Vanguard is telling me some of the negatives associated with the Briggs name is diminishing.
I hope that is the case puppy.

I am used to seeing the B&S engines of any stripe including the Vaguard, be less here as well, but the only two Scag dealers anywhere near me sell the Cheetah at the same price for the Kawi 31 and the Vanguard 32. Now this was the FX850's they had, but those they had when I was in looking at them in late April were still showing/labeled on the engine labels as 31 HP, and being sold as 31 HP machines to their customers at the start of this spring, and on into May last I chatted with them about this particular point. The larger of the two dealers told me he is really starting to sell the Vanguards this year. We talked about LS a little, and he thought maybe the word was getting around now due to places like this. He said that if guys wanted a bigger engine than either of those two choices he normally ordered in the 36 Vanguard BB.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:42 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bare31 View Post
GrumpyDave, Why were u glad to get back to your TT?
Several small reasons. Large / flat lawns are the exception around here so the higher speed of the Cheetah was wasted and on the steeper lawns I thought the TT had a lower center of gravity and "felt" more stable. while we had the Cheetah we seemed to be using the walk behinds on more of the marginal lawn areas.

The deck on the TT will raise to and mow at 6" vs 5" on the Cheetah. Doesn't seem like a big deal but it makes a difference when curb hopping or doing 1st mowings on overgrown properties.

The saddle tanks needed on the Cheetah for the suspension block your line of sight to the rear tires and back corners of the deck. With the TT you can glance down while you're mowing around trees etc and see the clearance.

The liquid cooled 29hp DFI Kawasaki motor in the TT uses (my estimation based on history of TT versus two weeks of Cheetah use) 30-35% less fuel compared to the 32hp air cooled carbed Kohler in the Cheetah and I like the driveshaft powering the mower deck on the TT.

Lastly it may just be familiarity. Been mowing with the TT for long enough to trust it and know its' limitations. If I had the Cheetah for a season I might feel differently about it. The Cheetah is an awesome machine if you can utilize its' strengths but in my life the TT is a better fit.

Last edited by Grumpydave; 07-09-2012 at 06:46 AM.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
I hope that is the case puppy.

I am used to seeing the B&S engines of any stripe including the Vaguard, be less here as well, but the only two Scag dealers anywhere near me sell the Cheetah at the same price for the Kawi 31 and the Vanguard 32. Now this was the FX850's they had, but those they had when I was in looking at them in late April were still showing/labeled on the engine labels as 31 HP, and being sold as 31 HP machines to their customers at the start of this spring, and on into May last I chatted with them about this particular point. The larger of the two dealers told me he is really starting to sell the Vanguards this year. We talked about LS a little, and he thought maybe the word was getting around now due to places like this. He said that if guys wanted a bigger engine than either of those two choices he normally ordered in the 36 Vanguard BB.
Selling the old Kawi 31 which is now rated at a 27 hp engine is more than likely the reason they are the same price. They are attempting to get the old 31's out of their stock. The 32 Vanguard is a much stronger engine than the old style Kawi 31, honestly there would be no comparison, but then again, the BB 32 Vanguard feels equally as strong as the old style BB 37 Kawasaki (as they called it)

I cannot give a comparison on the new 31 because of never operating a mower with this engine. I will say the new Kawasaki 35 (which they called 37 before) on the new Hustler Super Z felt equally as strong as the big block Vanguard, but then again, I never cut anything to call on the extra power.

The older model BB Kawasaki kept the governor in hunt mode constantly, and this was one of the reasons I explained to their company that the fuel usage was so extreme. They told me at that time they were working on an E-Choke to help relieve the high fuel usage. I spoke with them within the last two months and was told the better fuel numbers were coming from the new head design, and the E-Choke had not yet been implemented. Kawasaki also told me there had been no problems with their BB engines since the new head design was put into place, but yes, they had many problems before the new heads were installed.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:03 AM
LawnSite Member

I have a TT and demoed a Cheetah this past May. I thought the Briggs motor was a pig I had the 32hp unit. I thought the Cheetah felt cheap with the saddle tanks and the metal seemed thinner maybe just in my head.
Old 07-09-2012, 01:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach14604 View Post
I have a TT and demoed a Cheetah this past May. I thought the Briggs motor was a pig I had the 32hp unit. I thought the Cheetah felt cheap with the saddle tanks and the metal seemed thinner maybe just in my head.
There is no dought about it the TT is a well made machine but not the cleanest design by todays standards,but very well made.

If in your conditions a Cheetah is much more productive then how much money it makes you should be bottom line.

I had one and bought a JD because of a great deal but the TT was overall made better. Then I bought a Super Z and on the merits that it did well for what I bought it for I liked it best because it made more money.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Great responses guys. Thanks. Gives a lot more info to think over.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-13-2012, 04:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Well I just got home with the new Cheetah. 32 hp vanguard. Just wanted to say thanks for all the great opinions.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-13-2012, 05:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Congrats bro! I think your gonna love it. Where's the pics?