Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-09-2012, 12:20 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watsmi57 View Post
you should service the hydros at 75 hours and at every 400 hours thereafter. per the manual. my manual also did not say specifically to use a synthetic. I called Gravely and they said high quality synthetic oil only in the hydros. They wouldn't recommend a specific brand but my dealer said they use mobil 1 in them.
Yea, I go a little over board on the maintenance. I change oil and filter on the engine at 7 hrs instead of 10 and I installed petroleum based 10w-30 Mobile One Racing oil which has high zinc/phosphorus content for better lube. Then at today at 52 hrs. I changed the engine oil and filter again with Amsoil commercial small engine oil and serviced the hydros with new filters and Amsoil 20w-50 high zinc. In my mind the engine and hydros should be broken in at this point. Now I'll fall into the schedule of 100 hrs. or once a season on the engine and if available I'll switch from the OEM filter to an Amsoil and I'll go 400 hrs or a little early on the hydros from here on out.
Old 07-09-2012, 11:38 AM
LawnSite Member

I ended it up not buying the mower. I added it up and it would have only cost me $100 more to buy the same mower and bagger off the show room floor with 0hr using the Gravely fleet program then what the total of his demo with bagger would cost.

Also the motor some how got 7 more hr on since late Friday. I told him he needs to come down $900 on the demo or i might as well buy it new for $100 more and he said he was not moving so I passed.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:38 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Here's a picture of my patriotic 4th of July stripes.
Attached Images

Old 07-13-2012, 12:31 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

The cut quality of the X-Factor deck continues to amaze me and my clients!! Here are some close up pics from today.

OEM blades cutting at 4 inches and not double cut...
Attached Images

Old 07-31-2012, 06:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan's Lawn Care View Post
I ended it up not buying the mower. I added it up and it would have only cost me $100 more to buy the same mower and bagger off the show room floor with 0hr using the Gravely fleet program then what the total of his demo with bagger would cost.

Also the motor some how got 7 more hr on since late Friday. I told him he needs to come down $900 on the demo or i might as well buy it new for $100 more and he said he was not moving so I passed.
Just out of curiosity, how did the dealer take it? Was he mad, did he refund the $100.00 ?
Old 07-31-2012, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Yeah i got my money back and he was fine with it.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Just wanted to check in with everyone. Mtmower, PSC or anyone. How has your X-Factor been performing as of late? All is well here...
Old 08-22-2012, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
Just wanted to check in with everyone. Mtmower, PSC or anyone. How has your X-Factor been performing as of late? All is well here...

Same here. Hate to admit it but the blades have over 80 hours and not been sharpened . Still waiting for the cut quality to decrease. Might go ahead and sharpen them this weekend.
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 08-24-2012, 11:39 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Well I'm still battling a poor QOC with my 460. I tried a new set of flat, notched, high lift, Oregon Fusion blades with no better results. This is the forth blade type I've tried. We bumped up the RPMs and pitched the deck, even tried some add on baffles and I'm still getting tons of stragglers/stingers at any speed and even double cutting. It also does not lift grasses pressed down by the tires at all. This seems to be somewhat grass type specific. Mostly with the super fine fescues we have and worse in thinner areas. Seems like there is little vacuum or negative turbulence under the deck, almost like I've got some bailer twine around a spindle or two. Looking at the design of the underside I can't figure out why this is. Also if I run it at speeds I'm used to with my Hustlers it makes the problem worse. Damp grass will clump also and I believe it's from collecting on the rear flatter surface of the discharge opening. When cutting dryer grasses more of the clippings come out the front of the discharge chute.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:01 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmower View Post
Well I'm still battling a poor QOC with my 460. I tried a new set of flat, notched, high lift, Oregon Fusion blades with no better results. This is the forth blade type I've tried. We bumped up the RPMs and pitched the deck, even tried some add on baffles and I'm still getting tons of stragglers/stingers at any speed and even double cutting. It also does not lift grasses pressed down by the tires at all. This seems to be somewhat grass type specific. Mostly with the super fine fescues we have and worse in thinner areas. Seems like there is little vacuum or negative turbulence under the deck, almost like I've got some bailer twine around a spindle or two. Looking at the design of the underside I can't figure out why this is. Also if I run it at speeds I'm used to with my Hustlers it makes the problem worse. Damp grass will clump also and I believe it's from collecting on the rear flatter surface of the discharge opening. When cutting dryer grasses more of the clippings come out the front of the discharge chute.
Wow! I honestly cant believe your having these issues!!?? We cut the same types of grasses for the most part. I have never experienced clumping and only had straglers in fine fesscue with dull blades at full speed. You have seen all my pics mowing in the rain with no issues. My deck produces a huge amount of vacuum with the OEM blades.

Im sorry and hope you can get this figured out.
Posted via Mobile Device