Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-09-2012, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
Does wind play a factor in evaporation? does time on the surface before soaking in affect evaporation?? does humidity have an effect on evaporation??? how about sun/shade conditions??? hieght and thickness of grass/dirt/weeds...?
You guys talk like you invented the internet and no one else has been aware of anything before you got on the forum... and now your math will save the planet...

I think there are people other than gov't approved plumbers that can do math too... when necessary...
It is in the Formulas Small.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

@OP: If you got sandy soils, your problems are over. It's darn near impossible to over-water sandy soil. I know that, because when I lived on Long Island, I over watered incessantly, and had perfect grass for 15 summers. Didn't need no fancy algebra to figure it, just a little common sense and some basic rules (twice a week in the morning, 1 inch, water more if it looks like it needs watering.) On sandy soil, the rule is when in doubt, water. All you need to worry about then is the water bill.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by maynardGkeynes View Post
@OP: If you got sandy soils, your problems are over. It's darn near impossible to over-water sandy soil. I know that, because when I lived on Long Island, I over watered incessantly, and had perfect grass for 15 summers. Didn't need no fancy algebra to figure it, just a little common sense and some basic rules (twice a week in the morning, 1 inch, water more if it looks like it needs watering.) On sandy soil, the rule is when in doubt, water. All you need to worry about then is the water bill.
There ya have it...nothing wrong with math, but simply watching the plant can tell you just about all you need.

I think Kiril lives in Cali which is a pretty constant temp year round...he probably lack freezing temps in winter and extreme temps in the summer...

Not saying he doesn't know what he's talking about because I'm sure he does...but I myself have been keeping nice lawns around here with 1" per week, tuna cans...rain gauges. I also use sand mixed with clay so my Bermuda is growing in adobe.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-09-2012, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Member

I got about a 1/4" on areas where i get good coverage and overlap, and i get about 1/8" where the nozzle doesnt cover very well. It seems to drop more water toward the end of the stream.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Well whats the thoughts then. Water at night and more than just every other day? I now water 45mins per zone, every other day. It comes out to be 6hrs a day. One day i do the front, the other the back.

My grass always looks like it needs water, i just dont know if i should water at night or not. And if so what time to start it and what time to end it.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ever thought about aeration and topdress with compost?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-09-2012, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbosl2 View Post
Well whats the thoughts then. Water at night and more than just every other day? I now water 45mins per zone, every other day. It comes out to be 6hrs a day. One day i do the front, the other the back.

My grass always looks like it needs water, i just dont know if i should water at night or not. And if so what time to start it and what time to end it.
It's sandy soil, I'd water twice a day. Once in the early AM and once around 3pm for 60min each time.

Problem solved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
Ever thought about aeration and topdress with compost?
Posted via Mobile Device
That sand would just eat it up.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Keep on adding compost...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-09-2012, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Cant afford it. Its 2acres and its to much money and time.

If i start watering at 3PM that is in the middle of the hottest part of the day. I am in direct sun until about 7pm where it sets behind the tree line.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbosl2 View Post
Cant afford it. Its 2acres and its to much money and time.

If i start watering at 3PM that is in the middle of the hottest part of the day. I am in direct sun until about 7pm where it sets behind the tree line.
Then you just answered your own question.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.