Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-09-2012, 11:16 PM
LawnSite Member

*^*++# landscapers / gardeners

Do all the above always plant tall plants in front of sprays in flower beds .l got 4 12" pop up sprays in all the corners and he plants tall plants in front of 3 of the sprays.he is very experienced gardener but tough to change his mind.anyone else have this problem and how to fix it?
Old 07-09-2012, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckworth View Post
Do all the above always plant tall plants in front of sprays in flower beds .l got 4 12" pop up sprays in all the corners and he plants tall plants in front of 3 of the sprays.he is very experienced gardener but tough to change his mind.anyone else have this problem and how to fix it?
The only way to beat the lag with LAs/Designers/Gardeners is to design for it. I learned many years ago that they (or the client) thought that changing plant material was no big deal; wrong, screwed us for application! After realizing this, in plantings, they got front-load 1812 heads, risers in the center and rear, all on separate zones. I told my people, "I can handle this area, but if you're going to stick trees in, I need to know."

Last edited by Mike Leary; 07-09-2012 at 11:46 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:12 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Irrigation needs to be modified to plant material. Maybe the landscape demands taller plantings. Irrigation is designed to keep the desired plant material alive. Plant material is not designed to work around irrigation layout. I am with mike, 4" sprays dont really have any business in a flower bed, i only do 1812s. Its just a few bucks more, and the clients eyes really light up when they see those things pop up.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:42 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

He said he had 4- 1812's blocked from tall plants

Hedges, bigger bushes I don't have a problem with because I can raise the head into the bush still hidden but pop up enough.

When you start raising heads on a edge ( like a driveway or walkway) due to blocked perennials when the design Was completely fine then this is a landscape issue.

Sorry you can't expect the plants behind them to get watered
Old 07-10-2012, 01:44 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

You're right sprinkler heads have no business in the flower beds. I prefer to see bubblers or subsurface drip like .DL 2000 or Netafim. The 1/2" size not the little spaghetti stuff.

And the gardeners off too. Typically you like to do a choir boy design with shorter plants in the front and taller ones to the back or the center.

“If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however, if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I help you become that.”
Old 07-10-2012, 02:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I always like it when people use side and corner strips on a 4" in a 4' wide bed. 5' nozzles are my choice for beds usually triangular layout. Not always concerned about 12" popups when I have 5' not trying to water the leaves. 6 inchers at least though 4" popups have no business in a bed.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:06 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Those guys are nimrods... a pro will check the existing irrigation before making landscape changes and advise the owners some sprinkler modifications are required.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it"
Old 07-10-2012, 07:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvanvliet View Post
Those guys are nimrods... a pro will check the existing irrigation before making landscape changes and advise the owners some sprinkler modifications are required.
very well put.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-10-2012, 07:14 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Put drip in beds and you won't have this problem.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:38 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcg View Post
Put drip in beds and you won't have this problem.
Until they cut through the line...

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it"