Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-09-2012, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
irrigation should be set up according to soil type, grass type, and weather conditions???
Really?!!??!

How about if the soil is dry you water it until it is wet enough, then leave it alone until it needs more water??? play it any way you like, but it all boils down to soil moisture in various areas of the lawn... 3 factors make you the all-knowing pro that will set the system for the season...

I had a client tell me that the irrigation was set by the pro and to leave it alone, so I let his landscape die that season and half the front lawn suffocate from excess water... the pro forget about the shade on one side... and the slope was too steep to allow much to soak in, oh my, poor pro...

Didn't need some book to tell me which direction to turn the dials for each zone, but it kills me that it took this moron an education, to screw it up that badly... another joke!!!
If you understood some of the basics then I would discuss where this pro might have gone wrong. You are right about some common sense being needed but some times you need more.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
If you understood some of the basics then I would discuss where this pro might have gone wrong. You are right about some common sense being needed but some times you need more.
I remember back at the University we had a Mathematics professor that answered the childrens' questions about which formula for a particular problem, with this remark... "There is no single formula for any particular problem. You can reach a solution from any different angle and you build your formula based on what you need to do next."

I can tell you where the pro went wrong... he knew a formula but had no clue as to its application... I have my formulas, but they are mocked becuz some high brow told you that THIS is the formula to use... and too many children have been educated beyond their intelligence and so are unable to understand how things work in the real world...
Old 07-09-2012, 07:17 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

BTW, that professor immediately became the most respected at the university, for me... he was absolutely correct,,, yet no one else was ever clever enough to put that thought into words...
Old 07-09-2012, 07:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
BTW, that professor immediately became the most respected at the university, for me... he was absolutely correct,,, yet no one else was ever clever enough to put that thought into words...

Like it or not, Irrigation still has to conform to the laws of physics. Those laws are adopted as code by regulatory agencies concerning plumbing, mechanical contractors and in some states irrigators.

Water is a precious resource. In my state, I have to have training and pass a test to get a license to design, install or repair irrigation systems. You can not even send out a crew alone. I have to be insight and onsite.

I have to keep attending courses as well to maintain my licenses.

Basically, all you are doing is mock what you do not understand. Are there plenty of things so called pros do wrong, sure there are. I find them every day. People will likely find things I did wrong.

The more you mock the more you show, disrespect for proven principles, my training and experience and your ignorance. I was once willing to discuss things with you but I see that is a lost cause.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You got your outdoor plumbing lisence... we're not talking about plumbing... we're talking about horticulture... plumbers don't impress me when they try to tell me how water interacts with soils... that's the bottom line... plumbers telling me that I don't know when the ground is dry/wet and they are lisenced to tell me what for and call me ignorant... plumber...
Old 07-09-2012, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'm a gov't approved Plumber... I grow grass good...
Old 07-09-2012, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Good way to miss the point Ax. You are not bother in me by showing your knowledge forever on the internet.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
You are of course assuming the "pro" was actually a "pro" to begin with.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
You are of course assuming the "pro" was actually a "pro" to begin with.
I jokingly say there is a reason why they call it "practicing" medicine.

Education is not a substitution for experience but experience alone can be filled with many false assumptions.

Yesterday, while tracing some wires I got trapped and tricked. Be cause of my training and experience, I knew I was barking up the wrong tree, I explained it to 1idejim and he told me exactly what was wrong the first time.

It is because we both were talking the same language that we got it hashed out in about 1 minute flat over the phone.

Some times you have to know when you don't know, you know?

It is easy to make many false assumptions and so called pro's do it all the time. Yet, I have not seen much value in the ax method, we used to call that malletizing problems.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Education is not a substitution for experience but experience alone can be filled with many false assumptions.
One could argue that experience is no substitute for education, or experience without education is not experience at all. People can poke around in the dark for their entire lives and not understand a single thing they are "experiencing", yet that will not stop them from claiming "x" years of experience and any of the other ignorant "book smarts" comments.

Quote:
t is easy to make many false assumptions and so called pro's do it all the time. Yet, I have not seen much value in the ax method, we used to call that malletizing problems.
Everyone makes mistakes, poor assumptions, etc...., no one is infallible. It is the ones who don't realize or understand they are making mistakes/poor assumptions, then pretend they are some kind of professional and present those mistakes/assumptions as if they were fact ... of course backed by "x" years of experience, which of course makes it right even though it is wrong.