Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-10-2012, 01:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Advise needed

Hello Everyone,

About two month ago I bought a New Toro Timemaster from a Dealer. After 2
weeks of using it, gas started leaking from the exhaust so I took it to the dealer and they fixed the problem. After bring it home I started using it and I never had that same problem again. Two weeks later I started having a different problem where it would start up fine but then once you pulled on
the lever to start the blades it would shut off. So I took it to the dealer again and they gave me a call two days later and told me there was nothing wrong with it. They told me it could have been low gas but I had enough gas. After taking it to the dealer I called Toro to explain to them the situation to see if they could replace the mower since the Dealer didn't want to do it. Toro CR just told me if it happens again to let them know and they would send someone out from Toro to look at it. Couple days ago I was using the mower and the same problem accrued where the mower would shut off once the lever was pulled. I took it again to the dealer and now I have to pay a deposit and I forgot to mention that the dealer is 1hr drive to get there and 1hr to come back. I called Toro to tell them about the same issue and the CR told me they are going to let upper management know and someone will call me from Toro. I just got a call from the manager from the dealer and hey left me a message saying that the lawn mower is ready to be picked up and he already spoke with Toro. I'm fed up with the dealer because I keep having the same issue. What would you do if you were in my situation? I'm sorry if I posted this in the wrong section.

Thank you,
Nicadeli
Old 07-10-2012, 01:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not aware of the "Timemaster."

I would Keep on top of the Toro company and find another dealer closer to home.

I'll just throw this out there too....

Are you servicing your mower in accordance with the manuals suggestions?
ie: tipping it the right way when you look under the deck? And are you using the recommended grade of fuel?
Old 07-10-2012, 01:37 PM
LawnSite Member

The dealer only has one shop. I read the manual before using the mower.

Thanks,
Nicadeli
Old 07-10-2012, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My father-in-law bought a Timemaster earlier this year and experienced a similar problem. It would shut off whenever he would try to move forward. He called Toro and they sent out a repair company to pick it up. The repair company told him that Toro was having lots of issues with the Timemasters, especially with the safety cut-off switches. Needless to say, my father-in-law called Home Depot (where he bought it) and they agreed to let him return it and buy a different brand mower.

You might want to try the same thing with the dealer you bought yours from if you keep having issues. Good luck.

Truck
Trailer
Walk-Behind Mower
Self-Propelled Mower
String Trimmer
Edger
Hedge Trimmer
Long Reach Hedge Trimmer
Blower
Chain Saw
Gas Can
Tool Box
Misc. Tools
Old 07-10-2012, 01:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks kennc38 for the info. I told the dealer but they said "It's like buying a new car, you can't just replace it". First and last time a buy anything from them.

Thanks,
Nicadeli
Old 07-10-2012, 02:12 PM
LawnSite Member

You can just replace it. My mother-in-law once bought a new car and it had constant problems. My wife finally got involved and let's just say she walked out with a brand new car and they kept the old one. I have no idea what they did in terms of paperwork, whether they just sold the old one as a used car, or what, but anything can be done if you push the right buttons.

Did you pay by credit card? If so, you can possibly have the charge reversed and that will get them to move a little faster for you.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicaDeli View Post
Thanks kennc38 for the info. I told the dealer but they said "It's like buying a new car, you can't just replace it". First and last time a buy anything from them.

Thanks,
Nicadeli
I think I would deal directly with Toro at this point since your dealer isn't cooperating. You could also post on Toro's forum here on Lawnsite and see if they can help.

Truck
Trailer
Walk-Behind Mower
Self-Propelled Mower
String Trimmer
Edger
Hedge Trimmer
Long Reach Hedge Trimmer
Blower
Chain Saw
Gas Can
Tool Box
Misc. Tools
Old 07-10-2012, 02:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks everyone for the advise. I will try posting this in the Toro section.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

In my dealings with Toro, I find there customer service dept. less than par. I am pretty much set as far as mowers now, but when it comes time to purchase again, I will consider other brands. Customer service after the sale is an afterthought for most of the larger companies.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-10-2012, 04:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Mower shutting off when engaging blades sounds like a safety switch problem. I know you shouldnt have to work on a new mower yourself, but whats better, spend 4 hrs driving to drop the mower off and pick it up, or spend a little time diagnosing it yourself? Sometimes these intermittent problems are hard to find. There are some knowledgable people in the mechanic and repair forum here that would most likely walk you through how to check things.