Register free!


Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #51  
Old 07-10-2012, 05:56 PM
turbosl2 turbosl2 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Saratoga County, NY
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
If his soil is really that sandy, then that would be the only time I would ever recommend a schedule like that.

But personally, if he does have that much sand, and also no budget to water, then he's just peeing in the wind, literally.

But, yes, not the best recommendation at all. My experience from sandy soil is that if you have a full sun lawn, the water you put down in the early am is going to be gone by noon if you have low humidity, a strong breeze, no cloud cover, and super high temps like you are seeing now.

Even if you were to water at 3pm in that situation specifically, then the foliage should dry out completely by the evening.

......
I think its really sandy soil. I can take a picture so you guys can tell me what you think. I have some issues that make this hard to figure out. The distance on the rotors is ~35-40' radius (so thats a large circle). The pressure is not hte best since i am 550' from the road. The nozzle sizes are not huge, about 2-3GPM per head, and mostly 2heads on a zone, some have 4 but they have smaller nozzles. I have 16zones so when you add all that up, the time for each zone, sandy soil, full sun yard from dusk to dawn, it makes for a challenge. I will get some pics. Be back later tonight after dinner
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 07-10-2012, 06:14 PM
Duekster Duekster is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 7,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbosl2 View Post
I think its really sandy soil. I can take a picture so you guys can tell me what you think. I have some issues that make this hard to figure out. The distance on the rotors is ~35-40' radius (so thats a large circle). The pressure is not hte best since i am 550' from the road. The nozzle sizes are not huge, about 2-3GPM per head, and mostly 2heads on a zone, some have 4 but they have smaller nozzles. I have 16zones so when you add all that up, the time for each zone, sandy soil, full sun yard from dusk to dawn, it makes for a challenge. I will get some pics. Be back later tonight after dinner
You might get better heckling, err advise over in the irrigation section of the forum.

Need to know things like, static pressure, working pressure, line sizes, meter size. Head - brand/ type
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 07-10-2012, 06:22 PM
turbosl2 turbosl2 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Saratoga County, NY
Posts: 56
Here are some pics of the soil and the yard
Attached Images
       
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 07-10-2012, 07:19 PM
cgaengineer's Avatar
cgaengineer cgaengineer is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Winder, GA
Posts: 15,782
No offense turbosl but that lawn is way beyond watering at this point. That lawn needs a renovation.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 07-10-2012, 07:23 PM
maynardGkeynes maynardGkeynes is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
The general factoid being used right now is over 50% of the Potable Water is used on outdoor landscapes and 50% of that is wasted. If we as an industry do not police ourselves then we very well could see a move to remove turf grass or reduce it's use drastically.

Plants will use pretty much all the water you put on them unless your drown them. Kiril and I both come from States with water management plans. Texas is no where as strict as Cali but we are headed that way.

There is a movement to take away Turf Grass and wasteful use of water is going to make that happen. It is not that we want to be retentive about it but there is a lot that goes into effective irrigation systems.
If by outdoor landscapes, you mean the politically connected agribiz, I believe you. If you mean home lawns, that is total BS.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 07-10-2012, 07:35 PM
cgaengineer's Avatar
cgaengineer cgaengineer is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Winder, GA
Posts: 15,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by maynardGkeynes View Post
If by outdoor landscapes, you mean the politically connected agribiz, I believe you. If you mean home lawns, that is total BS.
I think what he is saying is true, maybe not in your area but in areas where drought is common and the area is heavily populated.

I've always thought that nothing was more wasteful than using treated drinking water to irrigate lawns. Some cities have a reuse line that you are able to tie into for irrigation. Water is sometimes less than 1/2 the cost of treated water. The great thing about cities offering this is that instead of several hundred acres of empty land with sprinklers (land application) its applied to customers lawns. Yes you still have to pay for it, but it's less than treated water and it's just as good for your lawn.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 07-10-2012, 07:39 PM
Duekster Duekster is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 7,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
I think what he is saying is true, maybe not in your area but in areas where drought is common and the area is heavily populated.

I've always thought that nothing was more wasteful than using treated drinking water to irrigate lawns. Some cities have a reuse line that you are able to tie into for irrigation. Water is sometimes less than 1/2 the cost of treated water. The great thing about cities offering this is that instead of several hundred acres of empty land with sprinklers (land application) its applied to customers lawns. Yes you still have to pay for it, but it's less than treated water and it's just as good for your lawn.
Posted via Mobile Device
Exactly.

How many Ag's are using potable water .
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 07-10-2012, 07:41 PM
Duekster Duekster is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 7,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
No offense turbosl but that lawn is way beyond watering at this point. That lawn needs a renovation.
Posted via Mobile Device
If the heat wave continues they can use Bermuda
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 07-10-2012, 08:02 PM
cgaengineer's Avatar
cgaengineer cgaengineer is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Winder, GA
Posts: 15,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
Exactly.

How many Ag's are using potable water .
I would think not many...non around here for that matter. I just saw a large farm 10-15 miles from me dig a very large lake and install huge pumps and sprinklers for cotton...no way you could irrigate cotton/soy beans with drinking water and remain competitive.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 07-10-2012, 08:05 PM
cgaengineer's Avatar
cgaengineer cgaengineer is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Winder, GA
Posts: 15,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
If the heat wave continues they can use Bermuda
Probably a wiser choice!

The op said he couldn't afford a topdress, at $7 per 1000 gallons of water around here I would think you could amend 2 acres with compost to handle irrigation cheaper in the long run than continually irrigating 2 acres. I cannot imagine how much that costs.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:56 AM.

Page generated in 0.07522 seconds with 10 queries