Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-10-2012, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunton Guy View Post
Im buying a magna matic....it would bother me to much that your not sharpening all of the cutting surface on the blade. I don't see why bradley and others can't make it to where you can sharpen 8"+ My hustler blades have a cutting surface all the way to the center bolt.
How many RPM's are your blades running? Hustlers like me I will estimate in the 18K range....so my question to you is this.....at that RPM ....how much of the 8 inch plus blade that you are sharpening is actually ever going to see a blade of grass? My guess less that 4 inches.

The first 4 inches of the blade is all you should have to be concerned about. If it is not cut by then, I am not sure what to tell you.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 07-10-2012, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Look at my second picture on page 5, on the unsharpened blade, the grass build up isn't even worn off past 3.5-4" from the blade tip. The last 2" at most are what cut the grass, not up by the spindle. And no wavy blades won't work with the Bradley, you have to get the high dollar MM for those.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-10-2012, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunton Guy View Post
Im buying a magna matic....it would bother me to much that your not sharpening all of the cutting surface on the blade. I don't see why bradley and others can't make it to where you can sharpen 8"+ My hustler blades have a cutting surface all the way to the center bolt.
Right but those $200 blade sharpeners only have 1/2 hp so they sport an 8" wheel which wears out a lot faster than the $700 1.5hp sharpener's 12" wheel, on the other hand if you're only mowing 2 days a week then likely that $190 Bradley might well be the ticket.

But if you think that's aggravating...
On the 1.5hp 12" wheel sharpeners I can't adjust the machine after the wheel is worn down to about 8" there is no more room left in the adjustment and so despite the fact that there's plenty of material left I have to replace the whole wheel!

Which...
1/2 hp isn't the most powerful motor and it might bog down under heavy operation but they're a lot cheaper...
Those 12" wheels run north of $100.
Each, plus shipping (and they are HEAVY).

Folks consider all of this before buying any of these machines, you get what you pay for and it's all in the power of the motor and the size of the wheel, then they have to be replaced every so often and a 12" wheel will run you $120+ but at the same rate it lasts a lot longer than the 8" wheel, I still wouldn't buy the most expensive sharpener for a part time operation.

Last edited by herler; 07-10-2012 at 11:48 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My full time operation does just fine with the Bradley. It sharpens blades for 3 mowers at least twice a week, never needed more power, the wheel shows no sign of wear but I can adjust mine and use the wheel a long time when it does start wearing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-11-2012, 12:03 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
Right but those $200 blade sharpeners only have 1/2 hp so they sport an 8" wheel which wears out a lot faster than the $700 1.5hp sharpener's 12" wheel, on the other hand if you're only mowing 2 days a week then likely that $190 Bradley might well be the ticket.

But if you think that's aggravating...
On the 1.5hp 12" wheel sharpeners I can't adjust the machine after the wheel is worn down to about 8" there is no more room left in the adjustment and so despite the fact that there's plenty of material left I have to replace the whole wheel!

Which...
1/2 hp isn't the most powerful motor and it might bog down under heavy operation but they're a lot cheaper...
Those 12" wheels run north of $100.
Each, plus shipping (and they are HEAVY).

Folks consider all of this before buying any of these machines, you get what you pay for and it's all in the power of the motor and the size of the wheel, then they have to be replaced every so often and a 12" wheel will run you $120+ but at the same rate it lasts a lot longer than the 8" wheel, I still wouldn't buy the most expensive sharpener for a part time operation.

Good to know considering I am in Florida, change blades daily for two mowers,and have over 100 year round accounts, have had my Bradly for well over a year and have not even uut a dent into the wheel. At this rate my estimated time of a replacement wheel will be at least 5 year. I will think I have gotten my less than $200 worth then. Good insight you have on how this machine will not function for someone doing "real lawn service". Ha What next are you going to tell me to purchase a John Deere because it will be the only commercial mower that will last in day to day operations? Just because you buy the most expensive item does not mean you got the best value. Sometime you have used too much of your lawn boy logic and paid attention to too many LS ads.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 07-11-2012, 12:09 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Coming back to this....that kind of comment is what works me up about this site, people speak out of line and assume that only the most expensive item will work. Again review my numbers, I cut grass YEAR round down here, which gives me what....9 months on most of those on this board? Now if mine died today and lest just say I am close to two year with daily sharpening. That means that in theory this $200 (less actually) machine should in return last someone cutting grass at least how many season? Lawn boy logic, sometimes it amazes even me.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:12 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Purchased this morning. Hope it gets here quick. My sharp blade pile is getting smaller while the need sharpened pile is growing daily........
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-11-2012, 09:56 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscape Poet View Post
Coming back to this....that kind of comment is what works me up about this site, people speak out of line and assume that only the most expensive item will work. Again review my numbers, I cut grass YEAR round down here, which gives me what....9 months on most of those on this board? Now if mine died today and lest just say I am close to two year with daily sharpening. That means that in theory this $200 (less actually) machine should in return last someone cutting grass at least how many season? Lawn boy logic, sometimes it amazes even me.
What gets me is people giving advice on something they have never used. If you don't have firsthand experience, don't act like you do. That's how wrong info gets around.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-11-2012, 10:00 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscape Poet View Post
Good to know considering I am in Florida, change blades daily for two mowers,and have over 100 year round accounts, have had my Bradly for well over a year and have not even uut a dent into the wheel. At this rate my estimated time of a replacement wheel will be at least 5 year. I will think I have gotten my less than $200 worth then. Good insight you have on how this machine will not function for someone doing "real lawn service". Ha What next are you going to tell me to purchase a John Deere because it will be the only commercial mower that will last in day to day operations? Just because you buy the most expensive item does not mean you got the best value. Sometime you have used too much of your lawn boy logic and paid attention to too many LS ads.
I never said anything of the sort.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:02 PM
LawnSite Member

I have gator blades would I need the MM or can I try the Bradley out. Only use gators on one machine but why buy a machine that doesn't work for everything
Posted via Mobile Device

Tags
blades , sharpening