Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-10-2012, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
I agree.
Posted via Mobile Device
twice a year? Its fertilized 4 times a year. And the season is only from may till September. How do I topdress the lawn?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-10-2012, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbosl2 View Post
twice a year? Its fertilized 4 times a year. And the season is only from may till September. How do I topdress the lawn?
Posted via Mobile Device
You may still lose fert to leaching since its sand.

You won't like the work involved with topdressing!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-10-2012, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Member

haha, you're prob right with the fertilizer. So what's involved with top dreasing
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-11-2012, 09:19 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
1" per week is not watering the piss out of a lawn.
It is if demand is considerably less than that.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
Exactly.

How many Ag's are using potable water .
Ag operations out here either get their water from ground aquifers or rivers .... the same place we get our drinking water .... so in effect they are using untreated potable water. I would suspect it is the same around most of the country. With respect to using grey water on consumable ag crops, someone that has some time might want to check on that as I would suspect there are some rather strict regulations with regard to where grey water can be used in ag.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiril View Post
Ag operations out here either get their water from ground aquifers or rivers .... the same place we get our drinking water .... so in effect they are using untreated potable water. I would suspect it is the same around most of the country. With respect to using grey water on consumable ag crops, someone that has some time might want to check on that as I would suspect there are some rather strict regulations with regard to where grey water can be used in ag.
MMM e-coli on strawberry's and spinach.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
MMM e-coli on strawberry's and spinach.
Grey water has been treated, ran through ozonator, UV...it's not purified and cannot be used as drinking water. Water is free from viruses.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-11-2012, 03:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Turbos,
My opinion...is that you should stay with slow release forms of nitrogen--that is make sure your fertilizer has at least 50 percent of the nitrogen coated to make it slow release. More than 50 percent if possible. Try to apply your fert during cool rainy periods or when rain is expected. April and May--September and October work well; try to get the applications 6 weeks apart. Summer is OK if during a rainy period. Grass should recover when rains start again. Compost will not substitute for water, nor for fertilizer. Kentucky bluegrass recovers from drought damage fairly well--it creeps to fill in thin spots. Perennial ryegrass (which is probably a high percentage of your lawn) recovers more slowly, as it does not creep. Reseed as needed about Sept first.

Photos seem to show many areas which do not have adequate irrigation water pressure. Discuss this with a top-quality irrigation company. Perhaps a well will work out better than city water--do you have a creek?

Meanwhile try to find a moisture meter to help judge how dry your soil has become, and compare areas. And learn how to detect wilted turf--and try to add water before the turf wilts, (for long) at least.

Sandy soil will gradually accumulate organic matter and become dark and more moisture retentative in a few years as the roots grow down into the soil and die.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Turbos,
My opinion...is that you should stay with slow release forms of nitrogen--that is make sure your fertilizer has at least 50 percent of the nitrogen coated to make it slow release. More than 50 percent if possible. Try to apply your fert during cool rainy periods or when rain is expected. April and May--September and October work well; try to get the applications 6 weeks apart. Summer is OK if during a rainy period. Grass should recover when rains start again. Compost will not substitute for water, nor for fertilizer. Kentucky bluegrass recovers from drought damage fairly well--it creeps to fill in thin spots. Perennial ryegrass (which is probably a high percentage of your lawn) recovers more slowly, as it does not creep. Reseed as needed about Sept first.

Photos seem to show many areas which do not have adequate irrigation water pressure. Discuss this with a top-quality irrigation company. Perhaps a well will work out better than city water--do you have a creek?

Meanwhile try to find a moisture meter to help judge how dry your soil has become, and compare areas. And learn how to detect wilted turf--and try to add water before the turf wilts, (for long) at least.

Sandy soil will gradually accumulate organic matter and become dark and more moisture retentative in a few years as the roots grow down into the soil and die.
Thanks for the heads up on the fertilizer, this is what is currently being applied by trugreen to my lawn. Its a slow release and i can tell because everytime i water i seem to smell the oder. It is being applied about 6weeks apart too.
Most of my lawn is kentucky blue grass and some tall fescue. I spent alot of money on the KB and when its spring it really shows. You are correct about how it seems to fill in quickly. I also have alot of tall fescue, i dont mind that too, i like it, but the areas of KB are much nicer. I do plan to reseed this sept, i am still trying to get it established in some areas.

I do have a few points and a 3/4HP pump that i was planning on putting it. Frankly i am afraid i am not goign to hit water because of the elevation of my lot compared ot the surrounding water areas. My neighbors are about 500' away from my house, i talked to him and he had a 30' well and said he would run out of water doing laundry. He now has a 100' well and said its no issue. I wasnt sure if i could pull enough water to water almost 2acres of lawn. Were talking 5000 gallons a day at 7GPM (what i currently have) and 10k at 14GPM if i can get that from a well.

You bring up a good point about the sandy soil. My lawn is only 2 seasons old so i am hoping if i mulch my grass it will help. I do bag my leaves because they seemed exessive and would kill the grass. I will see how that works this year.

Whats topdressing?
Old 07-11-2012, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Good luck with TrueGreen.