Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-10-2012, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Member

ZTR pre-sales question (RE: Pricing)

This is my first time buying a big boy mower. I suspect that it's like buying a car - there's the sticker price and then there's the price you actually pay. Am I right, or does everyone just pay sticker for their ZTRs?

If it matters, I'm considering purchasing this from a small franchise that is locally owned.

Thanks!
Old 07-10-2012, 10:38 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

if it's your first purchase from a dealer, don't expect much as far as discount, unless it's a demo.... it took 2 ztrs, 3 walk behinds, and a couple push mowers before my dealer started giving any "deals". You may want to check out what the manufacturer offers as far as discounts, I have heard of dealers who don't pass on manufacturer deals unless mentioned.
Old 07-10-2012, 07:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info. I've found a mower I like and I think I'll ask for $100 off (which isn't much but it's something!).
Old 07-11-2012, 12:42 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtoga View Post
This is my first time buying a big boy mower. I suspect that it's like buying a car - there's the sticker price and then there's the price you actually pay. Am I right, or does everyone just pay sticker for their ZTRs?

If it matters, I'm considering purchasing this from a small franchise that is locally owned.

Thanks!
From my recent experience, there is some variation in dealer prices and flexibility, but not a whole lot. Most will entertain offers of a few hundred less than asking depending on the original price, say 200 off of a $5200 mower. They also can give you extras like the first service free, a set of blades, etc. That's pretty common. There's a lot more variation in used or last year's holdovers.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:36 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

the biggest and best deals I've found have been with off season demos. My dealer has let some Lazer Zs go for a couple thousand below retail, sometimes more, models with less than 50 hours. He also does a full service w/new blades before going out the door and your next service for free.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtoga View Post
Thanks for the info. I've found a mower I like and I think I'll ask for $100 off (which isn't much but it's something!).
$100 is about what you might see. My last mower was a whim, I saw it, threw a number at him(Reasonable) and he made a face, thought about it, made the face again and said if I paid with cash, he could do it. Everyone is different. I was happy and sad at the same time. I really did not need the mower, but I wanted it. I was kinda hoping he turned it down, I was not going any higher.
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
Stihl BG55 handheld blower
AMSOIL In Everything I own

Last edited by Capemay Eagle; 07-11-2012 at 07:42 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capemay Eagle View Post
$100 is about what you might see. My last mower was a whim, I saw it, threw a number at him(Reasonable) and he made a face, thought about it, made the face again and said if I paid with cash, he could do it. Everyone is different. I was happy and sad at the same time. I really did not need the mower, but I wanted it. I was kinda hoping he turned it down, I was not going any higher.
He's right about the cash. There are two reasons to offer cash. Many times, the price quoted assumes a low or no % financing, especially if there is a financing incentive going on. Those cost money. Cash avoids those charges. Also, dealers hate credit card fees which can be around 3% or so (?). Almost any dealer will, or should, discount for cash. The time of season counts, too. This is probably the worst time to buy something seasonal like this unless there is a demo or something.

And don't let Capemay Eagle fool you. He loves his Hustler! (assuming that's the one he's talking about).