Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-12-2012, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Perc test

Looking to do a dry well to bury one downspout. Dug a 4 ft by 2.5 hole and put in about 10 gallons of water. Monitored and got about 5 inch drop over 1 hour. It's a clay based soil. I wasn't impressed by this. Should I abondoned this? My other option is I could dig a trench that would have to go under the walkway through the yard and empty into the street. Does option B sound better? I wasn't sure where to post this.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-12-2012, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by moreira85 View Post
Looking to do a dry well to bury one downspout. Dug a 4 ft by 2.5 hole and put in about 10 gallons of water. Monitored and got about 5 inch drop over 1 hour. It's a clay based soil. I wasn't impressed by this. Should I abondoned this? My other option is I could dig a trench that would have to go under the walkway through the yard and empty into the street. Does option B sound better? I wasn't sure where to post this.
Posted via Mobile Device
contact the local ag extension or the dept. of enviornmental health with the findings and ask them what their historic records may tell you. my cousin is the dept. head here and has been very helpful to us with water and waste info.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moreira85 View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
you are pretty close to the water where you are. Here on the east end of Long island in most of the areas you can dig down about 2-8 feet a get clean sand maybe it will work where you are. check this out http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...&highlight=dry
on Monday i was digging a very small dry well for a puddle that forms in a low spot of a driveway after 4.5 feet i was in the water table.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Run it to the street . Depending on the surface area of the roof and the amount of rain you will need a pit not a hole. in these parts they make you put in a storm water management pit to catch the water from the rain spouts . The adverage size is 10 ft wide 20 ft long and 10 ft deep filled with stone . And we have sandy soil not clay . And these wont take all the water in a wet spring .
Old 07-12-2012, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Member

So now I have to figure out how to get the drain under the walkway.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1idejim View Post
contact the local ag extension or the dept. of enviornmental health with the findings and ask them what their historic records may tell you. my cousin is the dept. head here and has been very helpful to us with water and waste info.
Or you could look up the information yourself.

http://websoilsurvey.nrcs.usda.gov/app/HomePage.htm
Old 07-13-2012, 01:31 PM
LawnSite Member

The other option To avoid the walkway is I could seal off the downspout in the front left of the house and slope the gutter so it goes to the rear downspout. Then run the rear downspout to the woods.
Would this work. I just don't want to overload the gutter.
Posted via Mobile Device