Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 03-11-2012, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Member

I have no idea what to do now. Alot to consider. Like I said im new to the industry and have alot to learn. I only currently have 15 accounts so I dont have much to lose. I havnt got a list of all the locations yet but I know they are going to be pretty spread out. ( I was told that there are some on the other side of town which could be about a 45 minute drive) I might just tell her ill take on half of the yards ( Which she said was an option) for $40 a cut. If she says they cant do that then im out.

Gravely 44z ztr
Yazoo 22 inch push mower
Stihl BR 600 Backpack Blower
Stihl FS 90R Trimmer
Stihl FC 90 Edger
Echo PB200 hand-held Blower
Echo HC150 hedge trimmer

"The mind is the limit. As long as the mind can envision the fact that you can do something, you can do it, as long as you really believe 100 percent."

"The only place where 'success' comes before 'work' is in the dictionary"
Old 03-11-2012, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have found in this business, if it seems to good to be true, or if you have reservations from the beginning, get away from it. With predicted high fuel costs, uncertain terms with the realtor and their connection to the homes, uncertain mowing conditions...run from it. Built your business on quality work, rates based on your expenses and profits needed, and look into getting licenced for add on services to expand your offerings. Blow and gos at cut rate prices will lead you down the path of ...do what you've always done, and you'll get what you've always gotten. Good luck with your decision.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:10 AM
LawnSite Member

I appreciate everybodies advice. I decided not to take on the job because everything just seemed a little sketchy. I emailed the realtor asking for more info about the job, and then I receive a phone call from her telling me I need to cut a yard before the end of the day because there is a viewing tomorrow. I told her I haven't even accepted the job! She was only going to pay me $25 for the cut and the yard was 45 minutes away! I told her im not interested! Long story short I learned a lesson. If its too good to be true it is, and im glad I got out of this mess.

Gravely 44z ztr
Yazoo 22 inch push mower
Stihl BR 600 Backpack Blower
Stihl FS 90R Trimmer
Stihl FC 90 Edger
Echo PB200 hand-held Blower
Echo HC150 hedge trimmer

"The mind is the limit. As long as the mind can envision the fact that you can do something, you can do it, as long as you really believe 100 percent."

"The only place where 'success' comes before 'work' is in the dictionary"
Old 03-15-2012, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Probably a good move especially if they think you are going to jump on it when the wave a 20 dollar bill at you.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Member

is there someplace that u can find these listings for forclsed homes to mow? this would be great on the side
Old 07-12-2012, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnPatrolNY View Post
is there someplace that u can find these listings for forclsed homes to mow? this would be great on the side
I know the MLS site has a listing for foreclosed homes.

I do also know that Fannie Mae uses local realtors to manage and sell these homes. In our area (for the Fannie May homes) there is one real estate company that has all of them.

So basically you would have to find the realtors who manage these foreclosures and get in with them.

I've mowed a couple for viewings, but at my price. I also have done some "emergency" landscaping on one for the same company. But that was only because a lawyer of the builder next door referred me and asked for an estimate. I was the only one who submitted one, so I got the job.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.