Register free!
Search

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2012, 03:16 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Horticulture is far more complicated than turf care.

Horticulture is the science, art, technology and business involved in intensive plant cultivation for human use. It is practiced from the individual level in a garden up to the activities of a multinational corporation. It is very diverse in its activities, incorporating plants for food (fruits, vegetables, mushrooms, culinary herbs) and non-food crops (flowers, trees and shrubs, turf-grass, hops, grapes, medicinal herbs). It also includes related services in plant conservation, landscape restoration, landscape and garden design/construction/maintenance, horticultural therapy, and much more. This wide range of food, medicinal, environmental, and social products and services are all fundamental to developing and maintaining human health and well-being. [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horticulture

Let's not even get into this discussion here with only a few sentences per post.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 07-12-2012, 03:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasthound View Post
Horticulture is far more complicated than turf care.

Horticulture is the science, art, technology and business involved in intensive plant cultivation for human use. It is practiced from the individual level in a garden up to the activities of a multinational corporation. It is very diverse in its activities, incorporating plants for food (fruits, vegetables, mushrooms, culinary herbs) and non-food crops (flowers, trees and shrubs, turf-grass, hops, grapes, medicinal herbs). It also includes related services in plant conservation, landscape restoration, landscape and garden design/construction/maintenance, horticultural therapy, and much more. This wide range of food, medicinal, environmental, and social products and services are all fundamental to developing and maintaining human health and well-being. [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horticulture

Let's not even get into this discussion here with only a few sentences per post.
According to that definition, turf care and horticulture shouldn't even be discussed together, unless people decide to start eating their turf.

Truck
Trailer
Walk-Behind Mower
Self-Propelled Mower
String Trimmer
Edger
Hedge Trimmer
Long Reach Hedge Trimmer
Blower
Chain Saw
Gas Can
Tool Box
Misc. Tools
Old 07-12-2012, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Yeah, but that a the standard definition.
http://www.ahs.org/
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/horticulture
But horticulture also includes Landscape horticulture involves the design, installation, and maintenance of both outdoor and indoor environments.
http://www.nifa.usda.gov/funding/pdf...alty_crops.pdf

My point is maintaining landscapes involve much more knowledge and wisdom than turf care.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 07-12-2012, 07:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasthound View Post
Yeah, but that a the standard definition.
http://www.ahs.org/
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/horticulture
But horticulture also includes Landscape horticulture involves the design, installation, and maintenance of both outdoor and indoor environments.
http://www.nifa.usda.gov/funding/pdf...alty_crops.pdf

My point is maintaining landscapes involve much more knowledge and wisdom than turf care.
Now I'm curious, what is your definition of "turf care"?

Truck
Trailer
Walk-Behind Mower
Self-Propelled Mower
String Trimmer
Edger
Hedge Trimmer
Long Reach Hedge Trimmer
Blower
Chain Saw
Gas Can
Tool Box
Misc. Tools
Old 07-12-2012, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Member

^^^ perhaps go back and read the part that clearly states "it is very diverse in it's activities"
Old 07-13-2012, 08:29 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasssales2001 View Post
[/B]

Back to the original question.

Axe, what do you think constitutes "healthy soil"? I've seen healthy plants grown in many different soils. I've also seen a lot of unhealthy looking plants grown in what appears to be healthy soil so..........
That is why I think the question is important, so that we would know the reason,,, that an unhealthy plant is unhealthy...
Turf issues come up all the time and we never think as horticulturalist dealing with the husbandry of grass,,, but only quick, 1 step solutions rather than looking at the total environment of a single grass plant...

I am abandoning the idea of talking about anything indepth on this forum... any attempt to establish a train of thought will be derailed instantly... we are a culture of soundbites and cliches and if anyone disagrees it is only personal attacks... in fact looking at the soil at all is mocked, so you can't talk about soil on this forum...
Old 07-13-2012, 08:44 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
That is why I think the question is important, so that we would know the reason,,, that an unhealthy plant is unhealthy...
Turf issues come up all the time and we never think as horticulturalist dealing with the husbandry of grass,,, but only quick, 1 step solutions rather than looking at the total environment of a single grass plant...

I am abandoning the idea of talking about anything indepth on this forum... any attempt to establish a train of thought will be derailed instantly... we are a culture of soundbites and cliches and if anyone disagrees it is only personal attacks... in fact looking at the soil at all is mocked, so you can't talk about soil on this forum...
Yes the holistic view is needed. I like to use biologicals as a part of my program others call it snake oil.
Old 07-13-2012, 05:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Look at the big picture guys.It's more than just soil. Actually, healthy plants can be grown without soil at all. Ever heard of hydroponics? Light,water,something to anchor to ........
Old 07-14-2012, 12:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
Yes the holistic view is needed. I like to use biologicals as a part of my program others call it snake oil.
Its not snake oil when integrated into a complete program. I am not 100% chemical. Most certainly not 100% organic. Organics are used when indicated and in conjunction with not instead of suitable fertilizers. Some of the claims made for "organic" products remind me of when alchemists were the pinnacle of knowledge. Trying to create gold from other elements. Same is true of plant nutrition. Garbage in garbage out and if an element is not present in necessary quantities, organic matter is not a substitute.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 07-14-2012, 09:11 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Plants from seed or graft,etc. is subject to natural selection. You can plant a row of corn, soybean, rice,whatever and have variations of outcome. Grass just like any other type of living organism is subject to environmental stress. Living conditions plays a role, and so does the genetic relationship with the host. Poor genetic hosts will not fair well!! I believe that you can plant 15 of the same species of shrub, flower, grass type, tree and there will always be a 1/3 that will not fair well. It isn't always due to environmental issues....it is natural selection. Something went wrong in the DNA chain.
Closed Thread