Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-13-2012, 01:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkingrph View Post
How about the larger, Honda engines, I have a 20 hp on a generator i would not mind adding one there.
It's the same deal. You just need the correct sandwich adapter. My guess would be that Honda mower engines use the same filter as the cars.

Old 07-13-2012, 03:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
It's the same deal. You just need the correct sandwich adapter. My guess would be that Honda mower engines use the same filter as the cars.

One more question, does the "sandwich adapter" allow for return of the oil from the bypass filter, and does the original manufacturer , Honda or Kawi., filters fit the adapter or is a Amsoil specific filter required there.

I don't mind the idea of a Amsoil spefic filter for the bypass, but would prefer to keep OEM for the full flow, that way if I need one I can run down to the parts store and grab a fiilter.
Old 07-13-2012, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkingrph View Post
One more question, does the "sandwich adapter" allow for return of the oil from the bypass filter, and does the original manufacturer , Honda or Kawi., filters fit the adapter or is a Amsoil specific filter required there.

I don't mind the idea of a Amsoil spefic filter for the bypass, but would prefer to keep OEM for the full flow, that way if I need one I can run down to the parts store and grab a fiilter.
The sandwich adapter "sandwiches" in between the original filter and the engine. Hence the name. Yes, you use your original oil filter.

There are several ways to plumb the bypass filter in. An Amsoil tech would be happy to help you find the best way. Dixie Chopper uses a separate return from the Amsoil bypass filter that screws into the oil drain.

Old 07-13-2012, 05:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Wow some great information in this thread, thank you all very much!

I talked to a man who has been in the business for about 15 years today and he said that I should get a good ten years out of any mower. He said he still has his original Toro 21 he has had for 15 years that he uses everyday and is still going strong. He also said, like you all have said, as long your equipment is taken care of and you have the parts for them, you should be fine and have very little issues.

Not sure on what I want to get yet, I know I want a walk behind but so far Snapper Pro, Ferris, Gravely, Toro and Exmark are all options.
Old 07-13-2012, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Any mower will last forever. Just keep replacing the wornout parts.