Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-14-2012, 02:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Looking for paver stone lights

Something like this
http://www.cambridgepavers.com/cfile...averlights.cfm

Perferably in an LED version.....

Anyone use or have experience with paver lights?
I don't particulary like them but client is adament on using them.....
Old 07-14-2012, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I've used evening stars and In-lite micro lights for hard scape when needed.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-14-2012, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am unimpressed with http://sek.us.com/index.php?option=c...d=50&Itemid=60 . I did a retrofit project that had Kerr in the driveway last winter. Broken caps from the weight of vehicles and moisture intursion issues resulted in corroded sockets. Therefore, it is not a quality product that I would install.
In my opinion, I'm not comfortable with installing fixtures in a driveway. Vehicle traffic, snowplows, pressure washers, and oils make a driveway a difficult place to install trustworthy fixtures.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Dont like lights in pavers either because i think it looks like an airport but i use a coppermoon cm390 core drilled. 4.5" bit and you are good to go.

Plows are no problem as fixture sits flush
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-15-2012, 10:31 AM
LawnSite Member

The paver stones will sit on top of a concrete base. there will be approx. 22, and would rather not have to core out, that would increase labor and already borderline with clients budget. I am hoping for something like the pre-formed rectangle that i can leave for the masonry crew and show them where they need to go and have them lay them in while they lay in paver stones.
Client is using cambridge and awaiting him to tell me which model.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:10 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

There are a lot of different paver style lights on the market. I would never install any of them myself. Forget about the horrible effect they produce (alien landing strip effect) and just look at the fixture build quality. None of them are designed to stand the test of time. They break, crack, seals fail, sockets and connections fail, lenses yellow, etc.

I would be guiding the client away from this completely. If there is no budget to do the job well / right, then there is no point in doing it poorly. Do you really want your name associated with a poor performing and visually distracting job?

Short term pain for long term pain... its a loose loose proposition.

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 07-15-2012, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Of course I mean to say (spell)... lose, lose propostion.

www.integralighting.com

Old 07-15-2012, 12:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting View Post
There are a lot of different paver style lights on the market. I would never install any of them myself. Forget about the horrible effect they produce (alien landing strip effect) and just look at the fixture build quality. None of them are designed to stand the test of time. They break, crack, seals fail, sockets and connections fail, lenses yellow, etc.

I would be guiding the client away from this completely. If there is no budget to do the job well / right, then there is no point in doing it poorly. Do you really want your name associated with a poor performing and visually distracting job?

Short term pain for long term pain... its a loose loose proposition.
Yes i know all this, and tried to sway potential client.
This is what he wants. I have bills to pay. End of story.
As for putting my name to it, I will do the best possible job I can do, as usual. I will not guarantee the paver lights for more than 1 year, where my other usual fixtures will be warranted much longer. In the end client will be happy he has what he wants. He will recc. me. I at least talked him out of as many lights he originally wanted, and will stagger the lights both sides of walkways. Around a patio the lights will be spaced at least 10'. He wanted same lights on steps that has 5 landings and also on front door steps, I talked him out of that and steps will get my usual hardscape/step lights. Also talked him into highlighting his address plaque and 2 trees to give some distraction away from paver lights.
All in all even though I dont like paver lights I think it will look good and client will be happy. I am not going to be a prima-donna and say "if you dont do it my way i'm not doing it"
It's his money and as long as I give him a quality installation he will be happy.
Old 07-15-2012, 12:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting View Post
Of course I mean to say (spell)... lose, lose propostion.
Understood
Old 07-15-2012, 12:38 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I understand your position completely. I was just offering my advice gained over 14 years in this biz. Just remember, the client may be happy initially, but when those things start to fail (and they will) he will probably include you when he tells others; "Oh that low voltage lighting stuff is all crap! I spent a ton of money on mine and it all failed. I wish I never hired that guy either cause he says the only way to fix it is re-install more of the same." It is amazing how quickly dis-satisfied clients will forget that you told them so, and associate you with their lack of satisfaction.

There are times, and jobs, when it is better to simply say that we advise against this type of installation and we do not do this type of work and move along. It has nothing to do with being a prima donna and everything to do with working with integrity and being professional.

best of luck.

www.integralighting.com