Register free!

Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

My standing rule is that the person preaching to me had better not be wearing manufactured clothing, have a vehicle or use any modern convenience. They must also not eat any modern food, roots and wild animals for you, not some cute food bought at Whole Foods. I will not pretend to be politically correct.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 07-14-2012, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Member

No argument out of me about the use of invasive plants, I do have an argument when people try to box people in with a title like granola eater...lol its like what the media did with the occupy wall street movement by insinuating they all are hippie drug addicts, but anyway back to topic, if we take a look at WE as a people it's clear we have made poor management decisions regarding what constitutes best horticultural practices over the last century. Organic practices work cause if they didn't We would not be here.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Some say, if you can not eat it why grow it.

I am more than happy to provide an organic program given they have to tolerance to pay for it and accept something in appearance less than a modern program.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have an argument when organic is dictated based on politics and paranoia. When science is dismissed in favor of an agenda. That agenda is why what is supposed to be paradise is taken over by pests.

Old 07-14-2012, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
Some say, if you can not eat it why grow it.

I am more than happy to provide an organic program given they have to tolerance to pay for it and accept something in appearance less than a modern program.
I have heard that one before. I do tell people that if it does not grow without chemical or mechanical inputs, it does not belong there. We can look at our neighbors to the north to see how well "organic" only is working. Might as well let the weeds take over and forget the whole thing.

Old 07-14-2012, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
My standing rule is that the person preaching to me had better not be wearing manufactured clothing, have a vehicle or use any modern convenience. They must also not eat any modern food, roots and wild animals for you, not some cute food bought at Whole Foods. I will not pretend to be politically correct.

Most people do not have what it takes to live chemical free. In fact many of us would not be living if it were not for modern science. That is not to say we can not do a better job conserving resources but that is another subject.

While on one hand, most plants should be able to withstand insect invasions, many food crops are not native or even well adapted to where they are being grown. The need supplemental water, fertilizers and pest control.

Those are two different forms of horticulture
Old 07-14-2012, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Very true. I also have to add that people actually do not belong on the rock I call home. Humans are actually the ultimate invasive species here. The only things originally here either blew here, floated here or was brought in by humans.

Old 07-14-2012, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Very true. I also have to add that people actually do not belong on the rock I call home. Humans are actually the ultimate invasive species here. The only things originally here either blew here, floated here or was brought in by humans.
Birds too I suppose.

Once read that the Beaver is only exceeded by man in his ability to change the landscape.

I also read that there are no natural water falls on HI, Ferrel Pigs wallowing created watering holes and thus the water falls.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The waterfalls are natural. But the feral pigs were from humans. Again, the way to take care of this problem is hindered by humans. An open season on all non domestic pigs in the wild. Won't happen because of the anti hunting types.

Old 07-14-2012, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
I have an argument when organic is dictated based on politics and paranoia. When science is dismissed in favor of an agenda.s.

Again no argument...
Closed Thread