Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-13-2012, 02:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Ok I went to the only place in 40 miles that handles commercial grade lighting. They did not carry a demo kit. So we made one up. 120 watt xformer 2 bullets one post and 2 flat mount lights. They did not have any well lights but for demo purposes I thought one of the bullets would work. If not let me know please. Now the only thing I have questions on are the bulbs/lamps themselves. Any suggestions. And how long of runs should I put on each demo light. I figured I would put female plug ends on the xformer and hard wire the lamps with 50 feet or so of wire with male ends on that? Do I have to worry about voltage loss with that configuration?
Again thanks for all the help
Chad
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-13-2012, 03:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Ok I went to the only place in 40 miles that handles commercial grade lighting. They did not carry a demo kit. So we made one up. 120 watt xformer 2 bullets one post and 2 flat mount lights. They did not have any well lights but for demo purposes I thought one of the bullets would work. If not let me know please. Now the only thing I have questions on are the bulbs/lamps themselves. Any suggestions. And how long of runs should I put on each demo light. I figured I would put female plug ends on the xformer and hard wire the lamps with 50 feet or so of wire with male ends on that? Do I have to worry about voltage loss with that configuration?
Chad
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-13-2012, 04:56 PM
LawnSite Member

newbie demos

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfd27 View Post
Chad
Posted via Mobile Device

First off, you don't necessarily need a well light because you won't be digging a hole just to demo one. You might, however, use a bullet or get yourself a PAR 36 lamp and use that just to demo...

Where are you located that you have no distribution?

You really should check out some of the national multiline distributors like California Landscape Lighting. You can use male / female ends or just simply use some wire nuts. Don't worry about voltage drop etc... again.... simple demo kit...

start out on your own house.. and see what effects you can create by putting light in different places..... remember.. try to avoid putting any fixtures within a grass area because they will most likely get destroyed over time.

Good luck

George
Old 06-14-2012, 12:35 AM
LawnSite Member

Well it is now 1130 and I am just getting in. I was like a kid in a candy store. I was really impressed with the bullets. I did get some different lamps. 60 36 and spot light. Not so impressed with the flat mount. Wrong application on my part I think. Thank you all for the help. I am sure I will be asking tons more questions so sorry in advance.
chad
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-14-2012, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Member

flat mount

what exactly do you mean.. when you refer to flat mount light?

are you talking about a post mounted deck light? like a small half wedge or half bell shape? or something else?
Old 06-14-2012, 10:04 AM
LawnSite Member

Yeah. I just didn't seem to put out enought light to light up a 4' step. The step was completely dark on the opposite side. Like I said probably wrong application. I attached them to my house along the steps.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-14-2012, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Member

deck light

Well.. there are many styles of that type of fixture.. check out copper moon and hadco... they have many of the surface mount lights that would mount on a post and give off enough light. Typically, on a set of deck steps... you would put one on each post at the bottom and top and then alternate sides if there are more posts along the staircase.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:39 AM
LawnSite Member

Well i did my demo tonight. They loved it. 5 bullets 2 path 2 post tops and 2 post mount lights. Thank you all for the help. I will post pics when the install is done.
Posted via Mobile Device