Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-14-2012, 11:59 AM
LawnSite Member

Damn Cottonwood Suckers!!!

I recently removed a cottonwood tree. Now there are trees sprouting alllllll over the yard. I have tried mowing and pulling them, but there are tooo many. I am ready to start over and till the yard up and replant. Is there anything i can do to treat the yard to make them go away once and for all.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

A licensed pesticide applicator can apply glyphosate at full strength from a concentrate to the cambium of the stump. The bark needs to be re-exposed before the full strength round up is painted onto it. You need to keep reapplying. They'll also need to paint glyphosate full strength onto where the suckers are growing, after they have been pulled off. This will still take a long time for the roots to be killed.

There are other chemical options. I don't know what's available where you are. Go to a good gardening retailer that's not H.D. or another big box store. The smaller established garden supply stores may carry stump killer. Or you can try at the farmers Co-op or some-thing similar.

The best bet is to get a stump grinder and then remove the big roots. You'll have to redo the lawn....bring in soil etc.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Thank you for the response. Unfortunately the stump and exposed roots were grinded down when the tree was removed. The new trees are coming up from the root system below the ground throughout the yard. The roots are not exposed. Any other suggestions?
Old 07-15-2012, 06:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Garlon 4 on fresh cuts
Old 07-15-2012, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Member

Is that something I can just apply to the whole yard after I cut?
Old 07-15-2012, 12:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

go get TORDON, it's basically round up at full strength for roots/stumps...cut off some of the suckers that are growing up in the lawn and apply this product to the fresh cut...doing this to as many of the suckers as you can will be the best option but if you don't get them all it shouldn't matter, they are all on the same root system, tordon kills the entire root system...you can buy this at tractor supply company or something similar, home depot might have it...i kill a lot of poison ivy this way, and poison ivy is tough to kill
Old 07-15-2012, 12:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

for what it's worth, we have 1 bottle of tordon all 4 of our trucks, i swear by this stuff, we never cut anything we can't pull without applying this stuff after...don't apply it to suckers on an existing tree that you want to keep though...