Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-17-2012, 06:14 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLewis View Post
There was a local company doing this in my area a few years ago. They even stole one of my clients away from us. My client wanted to "go green" and so they dumped us for this guy who was using all electric battery-operated everything. After a while, the yard started looking pretty crappy. My old client emailed me for a clean-up to get his yard back in shape. I asked him, "What happened to that 'green' company who you hired a few years ago? They aren't doing your lawn anymore? He sort of sheepishly told me that the company went out of business. Too many problems with their equipment not lasting the entire day, batteries going bad, etc. The theory was good, but in practice, it didn't work out. So they went out of business.

Guess who's taking care of his landscape again now? Hehe.

I think it's an interesting concept and here in Portland there are definitely a lot of environmentally conscious people who would probably even pay a little more for this kind of service. The problem, apparently, is that the technology just isn't there yet. And you're never going to be as efficient with battery-operated equipment and solar panels as our crews are with gas powered equipment.

I think 20 years from now this could be very viable and may even be mainstream. But the technology just isn't really there yet.
Nimrods who thing electric or battery power is green don't realize that there are gas/oil/coal and nuclear powerplants generating that electric. The so called "greenhouse" emmissions are higher when the hydrocarbon has to be converted to electric.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it"
Old 07-17-2012, 06:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Generating electricity from primary fuels results in just 30% of the energy being transformed into electricity at the power plant.

The hope with electric driven cars and such is that the things will be recharged at night while the plants are relatively idle.

Many power plants are also being pushed further way from the populated cities. The main source of air pollution is the moble, cars, planes, small engines and such. If the goal is to reduce city pollution then the plan is fine. If the goal is to reduce the overall carbon footprint, then it is a pipe dream.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
If the goal is to reduce city pollution then the plan is fine. If the goal is to reduce the overall carbon footprint, then it is a pipe dream.
For me, the first goal is to get off of our foreign dependance on oil from Arabs who are making it filthy rich off their monopoly, abusing the heck out of their own populations, restricting freedom, and constantly creating generations of men who are brain washed into becoming terrorists, just itching to kill Americans. If we can also have a little cleaner environment or less pollution, great!

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 07-17-2012, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I cannot wait until there is commercial quality stand on electric(battery) mowers that last all day (and all the other equipment too.)
I want to breathe cleaner air around me when I'm working. Fumes suck!
Old 07-17-2012, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnguyland View Post
I cannot wait until there is commercial quality stand on electric(battery) mowers that last all day (and all the other equipment too.)
I want to breathe cleaner air around me when I'm working. Fumes suck!
But you will wait.

I don't know that any of us will live long enough to see that kind of innovation. It's going to take a lot of money and effort. Other energies are still significantly cheaper. I believe you'll only see that effort once the oil is GONE.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

looks like a huge invenstment for 19$ yards
Old 07-17-2012, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
But you will wait.

I don't know that any of us will live long enough to see that kind of innovation. It's going to take a lot of money and effort. Other energies are still significantly cheaper. I believe you'll only see that effort once the oil is GONE.
Hopefully not!
I have a black and decker 36 V string trimmer that while not perfect is a big step in the right direction ( I still use my gas trimmer of course) so maybe in like 5 years there will be progress. And the oil will run out sooner or later! But then there will be no lawns, only survival gardens!
Old 07-17-2012, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Member

If I thought that the green business model would work in the lawn industry I would jump on it in a heartbeat, but as many have said in this thread, the technology is just not there yet. Try hauling enough batteries in that tiny trailer to service the big lawns, let alone the price they would charge. Wonder why they don't use the Hustler Zeon that can cut almost an acre on a fresh battery. Don't know what the batteries cost, but you could put that on a small trailer with ten fresh batteries and cut for a good eight hours per day. My guess is that it would not look green enough, no sweating, no walking, etc..