Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-05-2012, 12:07 PM
LawnSite Member

How to Charge for Sod Removal?

Hello All,

First post on LawnSite!

I have a potential customer who wants two, larger, curved flowerbed areas cut out of the front yard. All together the area is roughly 750 sq. ft. I'd be using a gas sod cutter (rented) for the bulk of the cutting and the soil is moderately rocky. Oh, there is an irrigation system to watch out for and I'd be doing this solo.

Basically I'm still a baby in the industry and learning my numbers. I've read about some guys charging by the sq. ft. and some by the hour. I was hoping for some advice on what I should realistically be charging for this type of job, in my area (southeastern WA). I'm thinking it should come in at Roughly between 450 and 650 removed, cleaned up, and all sod hauled away (irrigation modification would be separate and the customer has not decided what she wants to do there yet).

Any advice much appreciated! Let me know what you think and if you need more info...

Thanks!
Old 06-05-2012, 01:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Last one I did, I just charged my hourly rate plus the rental cost of the machine. The majority of your time is going to be spent removing the sod after it's cut. Cutting it with the sod cutter is cake and shouldn't take that long.

Fortunately, one of her neighbor's up the street needed the sod for his yard so I told him I'd give it to him for free if he helped me load it on the trailer and unload it at his house up the street. I didn't have anything to dispose of thankfully.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Are you selling square feet or a service?

Like macgyver said, time plus rental. (I'd markup the rental in addition to travel time)
Old 06-05-2012, 03:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes View Post
Are you selling square feet or a service?

Like macgyver said, time plus rental. (I'd markup the rental in addition to travel time)
It is sooo hard to find square shoes nowadays!
Snow removal- commercial and residential
www.terraprolandscape.com
Equipment list- A bucket and some pruners.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Member

you want to charge close to a dollar a sq ft for removal only.. we charge $.65 per sq ft for removal, new grass, and install!

Whats your rental cost? $90 for the day max? add a flat rate or per hour charge.. probably per the job though as your customer shouldn't have to pay because you may be slow.. not saying you are.. here in florida we charge $.25 a sq ft.. comes out to $180 good luck