Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-17-2012, 11:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdguth View Post
Are you really that surprised that he is asking you to skip and he never has in 4 years. Tell me how this year compares to the last 4 years. I think you will realize this is a year like none other. I live in Central Illinois and I know you have to be a dry as we are. Just be glad that you are mowing it every other week. I have some yards that haven't been mowed in 4 or 5 weeks. I also have others that could be mowed, but I have just talked with the customer and know better to just let it go. I wish i had irrigated yards, but I have about next to none. I have a good friend who said he has even been skipping the irrigated ones as they aren't growing either. Also, I highly doubt that if you charge him more the next week he will be happy. There is no way you would have to double cut. I have mowed yards, were I only mow parts of it and that is all I charge for. I want to charge the full price, but I don't want to make anyone mad. All I can say is it is a terrible year and I think if you plan to do this for the long run make the customer happy. Once it does rain again, then you have reasonable cause to tell him it needs to be every week and if he has a problem then, tell him to find someone else.

Just be glad u didn't have a customer do it themselves because you decided to wait and let there yard grow during this drought. Then like my customer I lost the money I could of made every couple of weeks, beacuse they went and mowed it a lot shorter as well. Total burnt up and I think they realized there mistake.

It sucks out there in this drought, hang in there. The strong will survive.
thanks senior member. If you live in Illinois, you know what I'm going through. I kind of tended to go with your line of thinking in the first place. His last words to me today were "hopefully we'll get some rain." If it was a crappy customer I would assume he was just trying to get two cuts for the price of one, but as I said he's good to me and even gave me extra money per cut when gas was so much higher earlier in the season, even though I didn't ask him to.
Quick 36 Ninja WB
21" Honda HRX
Husqvarna 223L trimmer!
Echo Blowers
Kawasaki BP Blower
Toro & Ariens snowblowers

"I mow alone, with nobody else. Yes you know when I mow alone, I prefer to be by myself." Matt Thorogood

"All those in the memorial tombs will come out" -John 5:28

"The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them"- Revelation 20:13