Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-15-2012, 03:35 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

personally I look to what my dad about mowers and backs. he's a doctor.

stand on units are better for your overall body unless your riding them rough. he had a patient who worked for a LCO and he just used that wright stander at full speed constantly no matter what the terrain. he ended up blowing a disk from that.

but under normal use stand on is the way to go. for me anyway.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:28 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
personally I look to what my dad about mowers and backs. he's a doctor.

stand on units are better for your overall body unless your riding them rough. he had a patient who worked for a LCO and he just used that wright stander at full speed constantly no matter what the terrain. he ended up blowing a disk from that.

but under normal use stand on is the way to go. for me anyway.
How old are you
Normal use is mowing your own lawn once a week
Mowing as a buisness isnt normal use
Think if your daddy is a doctor he would tell you standing on ur feet in one spot isnt good on you back
I know you like the stand on mowers must work for you
Old 07-15-2012, 07:03 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyder's Lawn Inc View Post
How old are you
Normal use is mowing your own lawn once a week
Mowing as a buisness isnt normal use
Think if your daddy is a doctor he would tell you standing on ur feet in one spot isnt good on you back
I know you like the stand on mowers must work for you
normal use as is you don't use the mower balls to the walls on any type of terrain.

don't take this the wrong snyder but my dads not the doctor not you, so I'm gonna stick with what he says on this.

standing on a mower all day is better on your back than sitting on one all day.
Old 07-15-2012, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Member

you are never standing in one spot you are always geting off to move toys balls or trash and no mower can cut at full speed well i run all wright standers xs i have 4 of them they are the best mower on sloops i have ever used
Old 07-15-2012, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Member

I agree standing on a mower all day is better on your back than sitting on one all day. I prefer my Grandstand to the Wright, the flex ride operator platform suspension is very easy in all terrain.
Blowers:Stihl BR 600 BR 550 BR 380 BR 200 Trimmers: Stihl FS 110 Stihl FS 90
Edgers: Stihl FC 90&75 Echo BRD 280 Pole Saw: Stihl HT 75 Hedge Trimmer: Stihl HL 45 HS 45
Old 07-16-2012, 01:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Both have their place. I have run Hustler Shortcut's since '99. I still have one and use it to this day. They are not barn burners like a lot of these new units I see around however it does help out on the back a lot. Too bad they no longer make this unit. Now that standers are the "new thing" they would have been a hit. You had the best of both worlds, could both sit and stand. When I go under trees I can sit and hang off the thing and go under low branches. I have been thinking about upgrading the hydros and wheel motors to get more speed out of it. It is nice to have the option to either sit on my Super Z and haul tail or stand on the shortcut when my back has taken too much of a beating. I do not think you will be disappointed if you get some sort of stander.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:51 AM
LawnSite Member

I do have some large flat lawns that a sit down would be nice.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Member

If I'm not too late to chime in...

Reading this post there have been a lot of good good points pro and con to both types of mowers. For what it's worth here is my two cents. I was originally a true blue long time user of Walkers. Over the past four years or so I have been investing in the Toro Grandstands with mulching decks and getting away from bagging everything. The Toros have been excellent. Very comfortable to operate and my back does appreciate it over a rider. They also have been able to handle most hills. Not as fast as a Lazer but definitely faster then a GHS Walker even with a speed up kit. But here are the cons of the Toro Grandstand or any other stander. They are tougher to sharpen blades, clean the undersides of the decks, and have a bit of a steep learning curve especially if you have employees. But still definitely a nice machine. However I found myself migrating back to Walker for their Super B with a 52" rear discharge/mulching deck and also their new MB 23EFI with a 48'' mulching deck. I did this mainly for their speed and cut quality. Both of these newer Walker machines are totally different than the older GHS units. Cheaper, faster, and have a simpler design. They also handle hills better than any other machine I have ever used in my 26 years in the biz. Combine their performance, ease of servicing, and ability to use different deck and implements they are a great option to consider. Definitely something you should demo. As to bag or not to bag... We have been solely mulching for over four years now after bagging for 22 years and we have not yet received any complaints. You just have to re-train yourself and your employees on how to properly use mulching mowers...there is a difference! Mulching decks have come a long way in recent years and are worth considering. Our yards have been healthier since we switched to mulching. But more to the point of the original poster's concern. Since you were originally a Walker user I think you would enjoy the Walker MB or Super B over a standing type of mower.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chagh2.0 View Post
you are never standing in one spot you are always geting off to move toys balls or trash and no mower can cut at full speed well i run all wright standers xs i have 4 of them they are the best mower on sloops i have ever used
I move all that stuff out of the way before the mower even leaves the trailer.

as for full speed. my grandstand seems to cut very well when the controls are pushed all the way forward which is 90% of the time I'm operating the mower. in fact the only time I'm not going full speed is the first 2 laps around the perimeter, if it's bumpy terrain, and when loading and unloading the mower from the trailer.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:22 AM
LawnSite Member

I have the Great Dane Surfer stander 52" deck. Just acquired it this year and have to say I thoroughly enjoy driving it. It maneuvers very well, is good on hills and top speed is about 9 miles an hour. After a days work I feel much better then sitting on a mower.