Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-18-2012, 05:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Oregon, the makers of G6 blades, does not recommend them for mulching.
I believe you meant to say they don't recommend them for mulching with a mulch kit or block off plate.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
I believe you meant to say they don't recommend them for mulching with a mulch kit or block off plate.
Since when did side discharging become mulching? The G6's on my Exmark make some small clippings when discharging, but nothing compares to the true mulching of a mulch kit/blades.

For overall work, Ill take the G6 discharging, but the mulching leaves a better cut/finished look.
Old 07-18-2012, 06:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkshot99 View Post
Since when did side discharging become mulching? The G6's on my Exmark make some small clippings when discharging, but nothing compares to the true mulching of a mulch kit/blades.

For overall work, Ill take the G6 discharging, but the mulching leaves a better cut/finished look.
That would be ever since Oregon came out with Gator blades for mulching while side discharging. Don't take my word for it that that was what they were designed for, ask Oregon OEP (the rep here on LS).

The OP wasn't asking about anything to do with Exmarks. He was asking about the MOD deck on a Deere and this is what I responded to. As far as my reply to RM (who deosn't need me to tell him about G6's as he has used them longer than I have), I was just clearing up for anyone who reads along here, that G6's are designed to mulch while discharging. RM is welll aware of that. He just left the last part off his post I believe.

I've run G6's since not too long after they came out, and I've been one of their biggest promoters here, but they are far from the best choice with the MOD deck. The OEM highlifts are definately superior in QOC under any and all conditions in northern grasses. The OEM wavy blades are the best choice by a wide margin for cutting while switching between side discharging and mulching. I've done quite a bit of experimenting with all of them this year with my MOD deck, both with the removable baffles installed and removed, and have tried all different combinations with all of them while side discharging and mulching.

Last edited by Ridin' Green; 07-18-2012 at 06:51 PM.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:49 PM
LawnSite Member

OK guys I went back to OEM blades last year. It mowed fine, now to this year we got started and switched to a new set of blades because I could feel a vibration. Changing the blades got rid of the vibration. But now we are back at the clumping problem. The blades look the same but they have different part numbers. I put the old set back on and it still clumps. Every thing is sharp and the deck is clean. To me the blades don't look like a mulching blades.they just have a straight cutting edge. Most of Deers mulching blades have a elevated part of the cutting edge. Can you guys give me a part number.
Also do you guys think that it might be possible that I have lost a few rpm thus causing the clumping issue?
Old 06-26-2013, 06:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Deere shows your stock blades for the 54" MOD as TCU30317

The mulching blades are #M144652

This has been a lot wetter year so far than last, so a little more clumping is to be expected. You won't get near as much with the wavy mulchers while the MOD is closed since they don't move as much air, and thus don't compact the clippings into a wad. Plus they redirect most of them back down into the turf while mulching.

http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/c...ageServlet_Alt

Last edited by Ridin' Green; 06-26-2013 at 06:10 PM.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Deere shows your stock blades for the 54" MOD as TCU30317

The mulching blades are #M144652

This has been a lot wetter year so far than last, so a little more clumping is to be expected. You won't get near as much with the wavy mulchers while the MOD is closed since they don't move as much air, and thus don't compact the clippings into a wad. Plus they redirect most of them back down into the turf while mulching.

http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/c...ageServlet_Alt
Its has been a wet year but now its hot and dry here. This is getting really frustrating, we have to dubble cut every lawn. I am thinking that this something more than a blade issue.
Old 06-26-2013, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

So, you can't get your John Deere lawn mower to cut grass?

I am thinking, maybe it's because it's green.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
So, you can't get your John Deere lawn mower to cut grass?

I am thinking, maybe it's because it's green.
If you can't post anything intelligent or add anything useful to the thread, then don't bother posting.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-2 Lawncare View Post
Its has been a wet year but now its hot and dry here. This is getting really frustrating, we have to dubble cut every lawn. I am thinking that this something more than a blade issue.
I think it depends on your grass. I tried a 925 and have a TT. I had a Scag mulch kit. I couldnt mulch any of my good accounts unless it was in August or later. Just clumped to bad with either mower. And I tried all the different blades no luck. And when it is as wet as it is here nothing will mulch on a reall good thick nice yard!!!!!! 10 inches of rain in 7 days!!!
Old 06-27-2013, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Member

So the Deere guys came out to day. They brought a set of mulch blades for a dedicated mulching deck. It made this issue better but it didn't fix it.
The consensus was that the baffles on the mod deck need to be extended. They took some videos of the deck while it was mowing and were going to email it to the "brain trust" at Deere.
I can say they are tryi.