Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-16-2012, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Member

After some more searching, I started looking at the front deck (specific to the 36" Variable) - see here:

http://www.4emweb.com/sis.asp?code=E...e=10030007.htm

It lists an idler pulley - is that the pulley we're talking about?
Old 07-17-2012, 12:15 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry, I had a different transmission in mind. I'm not familiar with your drive system.

I looked at what you linked to in post #10-the rear deck parts- part #73 (1-303075) is listed as a variable pulley so that should be the one that Piston Slapper is referring to for inspecting'freeing up.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help, everyone... I got the belt on it today, and it seems to be the correct belt...

I also lubed up the pulley, as suggested.

I'm thinking I might still need some tweeking, as the term "variable" speed seems to not really apply to the function of my mower... as all the speeds are the same, at the moment... I'm hoping I just need to adjust the pulley off a bit.

Instead of starting an entirely new thread, I'm going to piggy back on the problem I'm now having and see if you might have any insight.

Whenever the mower is pulling, it always seems the left side is pulling stronger (or faster) than the right. When I pull my grip on the RIGHT side, the mower shoots around clockwise rather quickly. When I pull the grip on the LEFT side, the left wheel clearly stops, but the right is not really pushing around. The rod that is being turned by my transmission belt is still spinning, and the pulley that is behind my right wheel is still spinning, but the belt behind my right wheel isn't catching - and is holding still (when I have the left grip pulled, and the right is released).

The first thing I did was tighten the bar that connects the grip to what I'd call the tension pulley (the one that adds tension to the wheel belt when the grip is released). That seemed to help some - but now both pulleys are tightened almost all the way - and not only is the mower pulling off in high gear, but it's still pulling off on the left side more than the right.

Not sure if this makes a difference, but the mower is much more responsive to directional changes when on the driveway (and less responsive on the lawn)... now if I could only get someone to pay me to mow their driveway, I'd be golden
Old 07-17-2012, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Member

I have one just like it. If you call ex-mark they will e-mail a complete book on it listing all the parts and working instructions. Plus, they will giggle when they here the numbers. They were made in 88/89. The manual for the 12.5 is posted on this blog about 4 years ago. You will prob. find it if you do a search. The 12.5 is a killer motor. As for the dead man switch, there is none. The only safety switch on mine is to keep you from pull starting it with the blades engaged. Most parts are still being made and the gear box is a standard one still in use on a few other companies pieces of equipment. If you want a dead man switch, buy one that fits a wave runner and splice it in.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by libby_arts View Post
I have one just like it. If you call ex-mark they will e-mail a complete book on it listing all the parts and working instructions. Plus, they will giggle when they here the numbers. They were made in 88/89. The manual for the 12.5 is posted on this blog about 4 years ago. You will prob. find it if you do a search. The 12.5 is a killer motor. As for the dead man switch, there is none. The only safety switch on mine is to keep you from pull starting it with the blades engaged. Most parts are still being made and the gear box is a standard one still in use on a few other companies pieces of equipment. If you want a dead man switch, buy one that fits a wave runner and splice it in.
Couldn't find the manual in a search, you wouldn't happen to still have it archived in an email would you?
Old 07-18-2012, 11:03 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

These might help.

Q

Turf Ranger 5 Sp WB Supplement.pdf

Turf Ranger WB 10,000 & Higher.pdf
Old 07-18-2012, 08:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Hope this works.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Member

http://www3.kawpowr.com/enginesecure...als/FB460V.pdf
Here is the manual for the motor.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Seems the url doesn't work. You can find it by doing a search here for fb460v manual. The post was made by Clement I think and answered by RestoreRob. I sent you msg with my e-mail and I will send all to you.

Tags
exmark , problem solving , transmisson