Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-13-2012, 04:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indybuck View Post
The Dixie Chopper model is the Zee 1. There are a couple of options. One would be the 42" for about $2500 or the 48" for about $2600. I assume both would have hours from this summer on them.
If your neighbor is a Dixie salesman, I could not imagine looking any further? The Zee 1 Is a entry level homeowner mower and perfect for a half to full acre lot. I have seen a 2012 listed for 3K new and that was the 1942. Depending on condition and hours, $2500 would be a good buy. I would take the 2348 for a hundred more if it works for your yard. Not overly crazy about the Briggs intek, but should not be a problem for what you got. Another thing you can look into is maybe just getting a new unit, sound like you can get a deal, see what a new unit would run. I would also see if they have a demo for the Iron Eagle!! That would be the unit to get!

Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQimrOjriBk
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
AMSOIL In Everything I own

Last edited by Capemay Eagle; 07-13-2012 at 04:42 PM.
Old 07-13-2012, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Member

I will check on the iron eagle. Why do you like that one better?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-14-2012, 02:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indybuck View Post
I will check on the iron eagle. Why do you like that one better?
Posted via Mobile Device
A little more heavy duty. Briggs Professional vs Briggs Intek, Hydro Gear ZT3100's vs EZT's. 10/7 guage deck construction. The Iron Eagle is built like a tank and will give you that 10 year+ mower. The Zee 1 is really more than you need, but if you want a mower with a little better construction, the Iron Eagle is it!! I am surprised we do not see more of these around the forum.
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
AMSOIL In Everything I own
Old 07-17-2012, 11:32 AM
LawnSite Member

Looking for advice on a new ZTR

Whew! I just read through this entire thread. Lots of good info in here.

I just purchased my first "adult sized" home. Previously, I had a postage stamp lot that took 10 minutes to mow with a 21" push mower. I now have about 1/3-1/2 mowable acres, but I need good maneuverability because of lots of flower beds, trees, etc. Because of that, I've been looking at ZTRs. The most reputable dealer in my area sells eXmark, Toro, Cub Cadet and John Deere. I've always held eXmark in high regard, so I figured I would start there. I really like the eXmark Quest S-Series, with the Kawasaki, better hydros and welded/fabricated deck. Unfortunately, it's only offered in a 50" deck. I think a 42" deck would probably allow me to maneuver around a little better, but I could be wrong. I only have one spot on my lawn where I wouldn't be able to get a 50" deck/chute (my neighbors probably thought I was nuts for running around with a tape measure on my lawn). The E-Series has smaller decks, but lack the welded deck and the better transmissions, but they do still have the kawaski engine.

I'm not overly concerned with how long it will take me to cut the lawn. I'm hoping a nice mower will make it a process I enjoy, so the extra time required to cut it with a smaller deck won't bother me. I'm not willing to cut it with a push mower, though.

What other options to I have here? It looks like the cub cadets all have the wimpier transmissions, stamped decks, etc. I found some 2009 eXmarks on CL that have 48" welded decks, but they have B&S engines. I'd rather have the Kawasaki.

I've seen lots of recommendations for Bad Boys, Huslers and Bobcats, and although they look like great recommendations, I simply don't have a local dealer that I trust for either of those brands.

One other wrench to throw in the works... I'd like to be able to haul things around the yard. A small trailer for mulch would be the most common use. But since there are a lot of trees, it might be nice to be able to haul some heavier pieces of wood if one falls. Are the lighter duty tractors (craftsman yts3000, etc.) more suited for that type of work?

Am I over thinking this (as I typically do)? I want this to be the last mower I ever need to by. I meticulously maintain everything I own, so I want something very serviceable. My max budget is ~$5k, but it would be great if it was closer to $3k. The Quest S-Series is $4k, new.

I appreciate any input you may have!
Old 07-17-2012, 12:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If there is a Snapperpro dealer there check this one out and compare carefully with the others you have listed.

SnapperPro S50x
Stihl FS90R
Shindaiwa EB212 Blower
Stihl MS250
Kubota MX5000
Old 07-17-2012, 02:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks, popeye. I will look into that.

I stopped by the dealer on my lunch break, and talked with one of their sales guys for quite a while. In the end, I was actually leaning toward a JD X304 tractor (4 wheel steer). I described my lawn obstacles to him and he thought it would actually get me closer to them than the ZTR, and it is still pretty maneuverable. Also, it has the ability to do a bit of towing, which obviously isn't officially recommended with the ZTRs.

It's a 42" cut, which obviously steps me down to 2 blades. I don't know what the blade speed is, but I'm worried about the quality of the cut vs. the 3 blade 50" ZTR. I'm starting to do a bit of research in that area as well... It never ends!
Old 07-17-2012, 03:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quality of cut shouldn't suffer all that much. I had a 42" before this one and it did fine with 2 blades, my 36" does fine with two blades. If you can fit through your gates if you have them. A 42' or even 48' is easier to trim around obstacles. You have more of the mower extended past the wheels. I personally wouldn't worry about small cart but it has a commercial rated ZT3100 tranny. The quest does not.
Stihl FS90R
Shindaiwa EB212 Blower
Stihl MS250
Kubota MX5000
Old 07-18-2012, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Member

My neighbor bought a JD 324 last year. The four-wheel steering does allow for tighter turns but it will not be as nimble as a ZTR. You can haul more weight with the JD than a ZTR, but you will spend a good amount of time backing up when you mow if you have a lot of obstacles. All depends on what you see the main focus of the machine to be.
Lawnboy 10227 2T push mower
Stihl BG86 handheld blower
Stihl BR550 backpack blower
Stihl KM110R kombi system with lots of attachments
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer 24-inch blades
Stihl MS260PRO
Stihl MS460
Stihl MS660
Echo SRM210 trimmer

Klotz SuperTechniplate
Old 07-18-2012, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Member

I picked up a X310 this afternoon. Decided it was maneuverable enough to get the job done, and I appreciated the power steering/lift (and the beefier trans). I haven't mowed with it yet, but I'm very happy with it so far.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I feel as you made a good choice. Especially the K58 hydro unit on that mower. Nice!