Register free!

Old 07-19-2012, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

It finally slowed down here, so we are doing some shop and vehicle work this week. We have a couple of buckets of used nozzles, that primarily are still good. With all the change outs to Toro Precisions or Hunter MPs, or changing to undercuts or the correct pattern needed, we have a ton of regular standard nozzles. Washing them out and trying to put some of them back in service if needed. Probably have a thousand or two of used nozzles. Thought about selling them on ebay, a pound at a time, as is. Pennies on the dollar just to get rid of them.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:38 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

If there's enough pressure, I'm not seeing any problems with the standard nozzles. Still haven't picked up the Toro Precision Nozzles. (I'd want to get the full inventory, and I'd never make a profit)
Old 07-19-2012, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

For the Precisions, currently we carry 10, 12, 15 in Q/T/H/F. We are going to more of these than anything. They do need a little more run time, as they put out less water, but the coverage is so much better IMO. Also on weak/stretched zones they are awesome in fixing the zone to achieve proper pressure at the heads. I over bought a bunch this year when they were on sale.

I bid on a job that wanted to change out 2000+ standard nozzles to the Precisions. But I did not bid it competitively once I found out who was bidding it, and how many companies.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I know some of you have far more experience than I do, but included are a few charts from RB.
So tell me what I'm missing here.
Looks to me as though it's 6 of one, half a dozen of the other.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf RB HE VAN 12 chart.pdf (72.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: pdf RB HE VAN 15 chart.pdf (70.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: pdf RB MPR 12 chart.pdf (101.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: pdf RB MPR 15 chart.pdf (103.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: pdf RB VAN 12 chart.pdf (75.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: pdf RB VAN 15 chart.pdf (98.4 KB, 1 views)
Old 07-19-2012, 01:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Boy View Post
I know some of you have far more experience than I do, but included are a few charts from RB.
So tell me what I'm missing here.
Looks to me as though it's 6 of one, half a dozen of the other.
RB can put that in their charts all they want. I'm not saying they are lying, but it is inaccurate. I've done it often enough to see it first hand, in the real world, not in a chart, that the VANs put out more water. When a zone of all VANs will not pop up to full height, and we swap them out to fixed and they pop all the way, having 25-30 psi behind them, then the VANs are putting out more water.

The HE VANs may be different, haven't used them, and have not been on the market or available long enough.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

the 12 and 15 VAN nozzles are right in line with the fixed sprays, but the small VANs aren't
Old 07-19-2012, 02:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

with that being said boots, that is the range i keep in stock, 12 and 15. also, like the RB 18 van. very useful.

seems that 15 is the most common size needed around here for sure. i have used some 8van a few times where it made sense, and seem to work well, but have not been checking up on them or anything, lol

i also started using more side strips, end strips etc instead of normal sprays. they do great for the 4 ft strips of grass between the curb and sidewalk. actually, i think in those areas, i have seen the best coverage from diagonal design rather than one sided. no one ever does both sides.