Register free!

Old 07-06-2012, 02:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If it is 7', it is not a Knockout Rose.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Knock outs can get close to 7 foot tall and they likely will get pretty big for that location.

They are not supposed to have problems of the other roses.

I would say they need time to adjust to being transplanted before they flower properly.

Might hit them with a rose food.

Personally, I do not plant flowers near pools unless someone ask for something that blooms and attracts bees.

I would pull them and give them to another good client.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGLA View Post
Yeah, it is, but it gets a lot of sun, and I water it every other day with drip irrigation spaced all under the drip line.. Fertilizer goes into the drip system at just the right rate each week. We've got great drainage, and just the right weather for it.
It also took a few years of pruning it to build up the thickness of the inner canes, for it to get taller without canes flopping down, limiting it's height.
I think if I just let it grow naturally (or pruned heavily), it would probably be limited to 4' or 5'.
Anyway, it's pretty much reached the limits that it can stretch out to, so the newest growth just keeps the middle well filled in.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The roses are fine. They should be watered routinely the first year. K/O roses will eventually reach around 5-6' tall or taller unless they are pruned. (Best to prune them in the late winter.) K/O roses are typically drought tolerant.

The Gold Thread False Cypress (Chamaecyparis pisifera) will top out around 5-7' tall and 3-5' wide- unless its a dwarf variety or you keep it pruned down.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:37 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGLA View Post
not true, my k/o roses are around that height and are 8 years old (never pruned) they are one of the biggest attention grabbers in my road side beds.

it took them a year to root and to get a good "footing" before they sent out flowers, my guess is they focus their strength on growing roots instead of flowers

Ive taken advantage of the world market and started a new business. We are building bombs in the shape of prayer blankets for our middle eastern customers. Business couldnt be better. The prophets are going through the roof!!
Old 07-19-2012, 03:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The roses look good,all they require is 5 1/2 hours of sunlight
I would not replace them without getting paid

Good Luck
Old 07-19-2012, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

those look fine, but who the hell plants thorny plants next to a pool? never got that at all.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:17 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

If those are pink as they appear to be they don't bloom or grow as well as the red knock pits do. They look good for pink knock outs but not my favorite. If they want more bush and blossoms I would talk them into adding some reds to the existing bed at their expense.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Roses like to be feed continually. If the customers wants non stop blooms then they need to look into light foliar feeding them. If they do not want to make it too complicated on themselves the Bayer all in one plant food/fert/pesticide/disease products at home depot/walmart/lowes do wonders.

We actually have companies down here that specialize in rose care....nothing else. If they want real showy roses, just like anything in life that equals higher inputs. Properly selectively pruning will also help promote new growth and better health.

IMHO even the "Carefree" roses are not so. It has been my experience that feeding roses with a product called Eagle 6 is one of the best products that I use to promote very healthy happy roses . Here is a link in case you are interested. http://plantfoodsystems.com/wp-conte...e-6-8.5x11.pdf

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 07-19-2012, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Roses also don't like being hit with chlorinated pool water or runoff from deck cleaning chemicals.
Posted via Mobile Device