Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-18-2012, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Reversible Plate Compactor

I've kinda been in the market for a bigger compactor for a while and came across a Multiquip MVH306 used machine today. it is about 5-6 years old, been used, but not in too bad shaped.

Just wondering what others think of Multiquip as a product? Also this is a bigger unit that I had been thinking of getting, should I stay away b/c it is too big? I think this unit is a 10k machine and weighs around 700#. I've been looking at around a 5k-6500# machine.

I have gradually been building up to larger jobs, and I am about to start my largest wall yet, and I think that I need to get something soon to get this job done efficiently. IThe job will be two 700 sq. ft walls on a property. After that we will be doing a 1200 sq. ft patio, so I know that it will be getting some use.

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated, as these things are expensive.

Joe
Old 07-18-2012, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have never heard of Multiquip equipment so i cant comment on that but I always tell people get the biggest compactor you can afford. We purchased a compactor that weighs 1300lbs and has centrifugal force of 16,650 lbs last year and it was a great investment. We use it for everything from simple walkways to driveways. A bigger compactor will make you money. When you can compact your base material in half to a quarter of the time as it did before... that money/time saved adds up quick.

One thing to keep in mind, you will always need a machine to load/unload, move around the job site, a compactor that weighs 700lbs... unless your an Olympic weight lifer or something.

Anyone can run equipment, very few can operate.

Check out what I do.
http://www.youtube.com/user/BobcatNinja2124

The company I work for.
http://www.interstatelandscapenh.com/

Follow me on Facebook.
http://www.facebook.com/TheDirtNinja
Old 07-18-2012, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I like that if I'm angry enough, I can lift my wacker into a pickup by myself. at what point do you guys thing a roller is in order?
Old 07-19-2012, 05:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We have 2 multiquip plate tampers at work there about 5- 10 years old they work fine we did have to replace the water tank on one last winter Someone left it full of water. I also have a multiquip generator at my house for general bs and if the power goes out its 18000 watt and it hasn't given me a lick of trouble it sat at my sisters house ran for a week straight after the storms we had roll through here the other week. Idk about dealers around you but take a look at wacker also I bought one new a few years ago has a 8 hp robin engine on it and works great.
Posted via Mobile Device