Register free!

Old 08-16-2011, 07:21 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well if the question is in fact about a moral contractor then the answer is simple.

If you cannot honestly explain to the client why he should pay a 1000 for 3 pallets that you over measured, then your wrong. If you can however justify it to them honestly(not to us)then your golden.

If your question is can you get away with keeping the money, well that would depend on how the bid was worded.

Spray is better compared to maint than sod. Your spray contract is to maintain the property. Not to put down x amount of product. Just like your maint is to maintain the prop, not provide x amount of cuts. If a yard is to dry, at that point the client is paying for you to know enough not to mow and harm the turf.

On sod your being paid for a one time, definable job. Can you do it, well you can rob a bank. Dont make it right just cause you get away with it
<a href="http://www.cklandscapingflorida.com/">www.cklandscapingflorida.com
Old 08-16-2011, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CkLandscapingOrlando View Post
Well if the question is in fact about a moral contractor then the answer is simple.

If you cannot honestly explain to the client why he should pay a 1000 for 3 pallets that you over measured, then your wrong. If you can however justify it to them honestly(not to us)then your golden.

If your question is can you get away with keeping the money, well that would depend on how the bid was worded.

Spray is better compared to maint than sod. Your spray contract is to maintain the property. Not to put down x amount of product. Just like your maint is to maintain the prop, not provide x amount of cuts. If a yard is to dry, at that point the client is paying for you to know enough not to mow and harm the turf.

On sod your being paid for a one time, definable job. Can you do it, well you can rob a bank. Dont make it right just cause you get away with it

Chuck

Welcome to Florida "the Land of Scam" where silver tongued devils get away will murdering retirees pocket books daily. BTW Many of these Silver Tongued Devils honest believe they are doing the customer right because they don't know any better. Take Chief Scalpem Up who does a fine job mowing the lawn at 1.5 inches every other week at a reduced yearly cost. Or worse yet the Landscape designer/installer with out a clue. It looks great the day it is installed and 6 month later it looks like a jungle.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Chief Scalpum provide me much wampum this year. Smart paleface village elder retain maintenence services strongly advised by round eye sod trader.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-16-2011, 10:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Chuck

Welcome to Florida "the Land of Scam" where silver tongued devils get away will murdering retirees pocket books daily. BTW Many of these Silver Tongued Devils honest believe they are doing the customer right because they don't know any better. Take Chief Scalpem Up who does a fine job mowing the lawn at 1.5 inches every other week at a reduced yearly cost. Or worse yet the Landscape designer/installer with out a clue. It looks great the day it is installed and 6 month later it looks like a jungle.
I see this everyday. Not only does it look like a jungle, but the maintenance to keep it in check is rediculous. Stuff needs to get trimmed every single week to keep it in check, not keep it looking good. Most guys don't know how to design. They take 4-5 of the most commonly used plants and give it to the customer. No thought, creativity,etc.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hog wash. It's perfectly fair to use 3 times the material needed if they will pay for it. and I love to line my walk ways bougainvillas. You just trim them to keep them 2x2. hahahahahahahaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Chuck

<a href="http://www.cklandscapingflorida.com/">www.cklandscapingflorida.com
Old 07-18-2012, 08:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
Is this really a question?
Posted via Mobile Device

EXACTLY!

I found this thread via a search for some thing else.

How ever consider this before issuing a refund........ Had you under measured in their favor would you be going back and asking for more money????????????????
Guess what they'd tell you............. along the lines of this >

In my opinion a bid is a bid. "Tear out and replace sod in entire back yard, $xxxx."
If the customer agreed that its in their budget to pay you x for the job and you signed the contract..... whats the problem in making a few extra coins on the job? This makes up for the days when it doesn't work in your favor.

Let me ask another question.......... Customer calls you for estimate for weekly maintenance. You go to the property and tell them you want $60 for the job. They reply that sounds reasonable.
You are expecting it'll take nearly an hour to do.
But on your first mowing you realize its going to take closer to 30 mins.
Do you go back and adjust the price with them after they agreed that the price seemed reasonable to them?

No.

In a case like the thread starter was asking where you feel you may have over priced the job by mistake rather than offering a refund I'd look around the yard and see if there are any bushes or maybe a tree that could be replaced.
Or maybe added to improve the look.
Tell the customer "you want to give them a thank you gift for choosing your company". They'll be tickled and only the most cynical and/or skeptical will give it a second thought as to WHY you are offering such an item.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

So Mike, did you get those get extra pallets of work the customer said he was going to use you for?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-18-2012, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
So Mike, did you get those get extra pallets of work the customer said he was going to use you for?
Posted via Mobile Device
Actually I have contact with him a few times in which he called mentioned doing it but we have not did it yet. I am thinking he is following my advice for a early fall install instead of the heat of summer like last year.

I am glad this thread was brought back up as a reminder to email him.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 07-19-2012, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've been pushing all my wishy washy customers to sod now while we are getting regular rain and sod is down with fuel prices.
Posted via Mobile Device