Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-20-2012, 05:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Edging Dirt

A customer wants the there property edged around front of the house , but the problem is that there is no grass around the curb , nothing but dirt and small stones. The ground is level with curb. Is it even possiable to even edge using a edger in this situation?
Old 07-20-2012, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by landscapetastic View Post
A customer wants the there property edged around front of the house , but the problem is that there is no grass around the curb , nothing but dirt and small stones. The ground is level with curb. Is it even possiable to even edge using a edger in this situation?
Just to get the details clarified... When you say "edger", are you talking about using a stick edger or line trimmer? I've done it with a line trimmer, but whether it's done or not, it still doesn't look very good IMO.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You can edge anything you want...don't mean it's gonna look pretty when you're done.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by landscapetastic View Post
A customer wants the there property edged around front of the house , but the problem is that there is no grass around the curb , nothing but dirt and small stones. The ground is level with curb. Is it even possible to even edge using a edger in this situation?
If they are going to pay extra to have you do it, then what's the problem?
Old 07-20-2012, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I must be in the wrong line of work, why is it always the customers with rocks in the dirt asking could we edge that?

Ever been hit by a stone that's been flung in your face by that blade spinning at high speed?
Ever see what happens to a nearby window if the rock flies that way?

There are a lot of things I will do but being blatantly stupid isn't one of them and I am the first to admit that edging in rock-filled dirt is not one of my favorite things but unfortunately it seems these types of job are the only thing we're able to scare up... Welcome to our world, I am glad to see we are not the only ones DEALING with it.

You want the work, I would recommend using a spade type of a shovel, like a drainage spade.
That's what I would do, dig manually because I just can't see taking that kind of risk.
It's going to take time, but we have done it plenty of times, once you get down to it you'd be surprised how much ground can be covered in 20-30 minutes, probably won't take you more than an hour at the worst, just not my favorite job but it is doable.

Last edited by herler; 07-20-2012 at 10:54 PM.