Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-21-2012, 12:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Ideas for new guy

Hello everyone,

My names Seth currently active duty military. I am looking to start up a lawn care business and go full time within the next 3 years. seems crazy to want to get out of the military to do this but i have always been passionate about it since i was a kid and love making my house look good and love the outdoors. also im tired of missing out on my kids life being deployed the last year and a half out of 2 and a half years, missed my sons first birth day and first Christmas things you cant get back

i am currently reading books on business and starting in January taking a course on starting running and maintaining your own business its a 150 credit hour course.

i have also started reading landscaping books and have been reading on here religiously. i am trying to learn all i can different aspects what works what doesn't work. i have been applying to and trying them on my yard etc.

my plan is to start up part time in 2014 so that gives me the time to get used equipment to start maintaining and working on it.

what would be suggested for a new guy to first buy? i have read a lot that walk behinds are the best way to start?

if anyone has any suggestions ideas, helpful tips, criticism or good books to read i would appreciate

thank you all for your time

Seth
Old 07-21-2012, 12:32 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Used 48-52 hydro walkbehind. New basic hand helds and don't get into debt. What market will you target makes a difference in the gear you buy.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-21-2012, 12:58 PM
LawnSite Member

my target is mostly residential to start out to get enough money coming in to pay my personal bills mortgage, water,elec etc. i want to work my way up to commercial accounts, my goal is after 2 years full time to then start bidding on commercial accounts.

are then any specific brands i should be looking at. i found a toro 46" walk behind on craigslist that needed work being a mechanic and having the tools to do so would that be a good option?
Old 07-21-2012, 01:29 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Toro would be a good one. I personally use Exmark but don't limit yourself to a brand because of someone else. If I were starting out I would look for certain features and then find a used machine that fit the criteria. You can't go wrong with any of the big players; Toro, Scag, Exmark, John Deere, Gravely, Wright, Hustler etc........
Old 07-21-2012, 01:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

150 Credit Hours will give you a Bachelors degree.
Old 07-21-2012, 02:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
150 Credit Hours will give you a Bachelors degree.
thanks for the info im gonna start looking into that i have 46 credits from the military so maybe some of them will transfer to that
Old 07-21-2012, 02:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by knox gsl View Post
Toro would be a good one. I personally use Exmark but don't limit yourself to a brand because of someone else. If I were starting out I would look for certain features and then find a used machine that fit the criteria. You can't go wrong with any of the big players; Toro, Scag, Exmark, John Deere, Gravely, Wright, Hustler etc........

Ok thanks its kinda like getting a truck there all pretty much the same no matter what just some different bells and whistles.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:33 PM
Sponsor

You may think it is early to think about marketing. However, you will grow faster if you make a good impression. Neighbors will ask for estimates if your truck and equipment look clean. Also important is having a clean logo that is displayed well. A local printer can design something simple for you and print out vinyl signs for your truck. It looks so much better than getting magnets.

Then once you start growing, consider having a good website to help sell people. Your truck and customer referrals will bring them there, and then your website will turn them into an estimate and customer.

Best of luck.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:50 PM
LawnSite Member

What part of the country are you in? Do you get snow?
Posted via Mobile Device