Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-21-2012, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I demoed one this year as well. Less than 5 hrs on it.
It felt really clumsy and stiff. Probably because of the few hours on it.
Its not broke in yet. But it was fairly fast compared to the classic Walkers.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPS## View Post
I demoed one this year as well. Less than 5 hrs on it.
It felt really clumsy and stiff. Probably because of the few hours on it.
Its not broke in yet. But it was fairly fast compared to the classic Walkers.
Walker mowers are known for their ugliness, poor ride, but supposedly excellent quality of cut. They have a select following, but most in the lawn maintenance business prefer a mid-mount zero turn. In the Charlotte, NC and surrounding areas, I see Exmark, Bobcat, Scag, Toro, and Hustler not necessarily in that order. I pay very close attention to mowers lawn maintenance crews operate in their business, and I honestly can't say I ever remember seeing anyone in this area using Walker mowers.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:34 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I had pretty much the same thing in Ohio. But when I moved out here in N.W. MT I was super surprised see Walkers all over. I'd say about 75% of the commercial cutters use Walker. I believe it was the first big dog on the porch early on with little to no competition and got a good foot hold. For some reason most of the commercial companies also bag their clippings here which means more time, equipment, and $s unless you have a private place to dump them. This has changed a little with the Super B and the side discharge option.

Dealer support is a big factor in this area also. It's getting better with time. I'm lucky in the sense that I can perform all my own maintenance. To the LCO here that doesn't have that option our dealer would be one of the better to get serviced in a fast fashion. It's not uncommon to see them picking up or delivering a mower to a company in the field here. And overall that's a rare site to see in this neck of the woods.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypaws View Post
Walker mowers are known for their ugliness, poor ride, but supposedly excellent quality of cut. They have a select following, but most in the lawn maintenance business prefer a mid-mount zero turn. In the Charlotte, NC and surrounding areas, I see Exmark, Bobcat, Scag, Toro, and Hustler not necessarily in that order. I pay very close attention to mowers lawn maintenance crews operate in their business, and I honestly can't say I ever remember seeing anyone in this area using Walker mowers.

When it comes to nimble and bagging requirements there is nothing that I've ever ran or seen that compares to the classic Walker design. The original designs if you prefer.

If you need straight out long distance mowing with minimal obstacles then a mid mount is great.

I've got both. A 48'' walker and a 60'' mid mount. Both have their place on the trailer. And while both are some what interchangeable to do so puts both outside of their designed comfort zones.

Few crews here run exclusively walkers. Many are set up like mine, a walker for the tighter areas and a mid mount for wide open mowing.

One more thing for the walker haters and there are many, to keep in mind is that walker has sold around 250,000 units in various world wide markets. That by any standards is a respectable showing for a piece of machinery so many consider to be pure junk.

I've got a friend that is a real hater, it gets funny to listen to him because he can be irrational about it.
As happens here as well.