Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-26-2012, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSmith View Post
Sounds a lot like Aspergers Syndrome. Google it.

My fiancee's son has it.
I know about it because i have it! I'm not like that at all.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes View Post
I would have canned him a long time ago if he didn't learn after being told to keep working. You did tell him, didn't you?

Just out of curiosity from the OP, this guy was trained, right? If your dad hired him, did he also train him to a different level of expectation than yours? Not that it would have made a difference, but just wondering.
he didn't have any training at all, My dad hired a lady's son that she wanted to get him a job and out of there home. Every time i taught him something he just ignored it basically. He doesn't even respect the fact that i own the company, he called my dad to kiss his a$$ for his job back. When i talked to him on the phone he said "your to dumb to own a business" So he gone and I'm feeling better.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamgreendude View Post
he didn't have any training at all, My dad hired a lady's son that she wanted to get him a job and out of there home. Every time i taught him something he just ignored it basically. He doesn't even respect the fact that i own the company, he called my dad to kiss his a$$ for his job back. When i talked to him on the phone he said "your to dumb to own a business" So he gone and I'm feeling better.
When I asked about training, I was asking if you trained him. You first said no, then you said you did. You're contradicting yourself. Not experience, but training on how you expect things to be done. Sounds like that you did.

If he didn't listen, then you did the right thing.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSmith View Post
Sounds a lot like Aspergers Syndrome. Google it.

My fiancee's son has it.
Beat me to it. This sounds dead on.

Do the kid a favor and get a hold of his folks, maybe they can get some help teaching him how to interact. I've got a good friend that wasn't diagnosed with Aspergers until two years ago. His life was going to hell in a hand basket ever since he moved out, after a good heart to heart with his folks talking to them about the characteristics and personality traits associated with Aspergers. They finally got him some therapy to help him communicate with other people and when other people know about Autism it helps them communicate with him.

Once you know about it and understand how communications goes in and out with this spectrum of Autism, life is allot easier.

This kid could be a great employee, (in due time) if you learn how he communicates.

West Metro Property Services, Delano MN
Old 06-26-2012, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes View Post
When I asked about training, I was asking if you trained him. You first said no, then you said you did. You're contradicting yourself. Not experience, but training on how you expect things to be done. Sounds like that you did.

If he didn't listen, then you did the right thing.
Right i trained him a little on the job, however he had absolutely no previous training or experience.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

My son is mid spectrum Autistic. Very smart but struggles to interact with others. Thinking on the fly is not their strong suit. This industry is not suited for people that require a stable work environment.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-22-2012, 01:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnglocker View Post
Beat me to it. This sounds dead on.

Do the kid a favor and get a hold of his folks, maybe they can get some help teaching him how to interact. I've got a good friend that wasn't diagnosed with Aspergers until two years ago. His life was going to hell in a hand basket ever since he moved out, after a good heart to heart with his folks talking to them about the characteristics and personality traits associated with Aspergers. They finally got him some therapy to help him communicate with other people and when other people know about Autism it helps them communicate with him.

Once you know about it and understand how communications goes in and out with this spectrum of Autism, life is allot easier.

This kid could be a great employee, (in due time) if you learn how he communicates.
Who can afford on the job training on how to work.
To difficult in my business. What you need is someone with a ability to learn quickly and the first time.
Keep looking they are out there. Guys that worked on farms are great place to look. They work hard, show up on time and you can pay them more.