Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-22-2012, 12:04 AM
LawnSite Member

Burned the lawn out, now what

I did a fertilizing app on my lawn a couple weeks ago. I was trying to be careful and watch the daytime temperatures so I did 3/4 of the normal recommended rate. Was using a lesco 18 0 4 with allectus. After the app the temps stayed in the 90's and we went 2 weeks without any rain. I was away on vacation so I never watered my lawn. Lawn is looking pretty bad, has lines throughout that match the tire patters on the mower. What am I suppose to do now. Been watering it a lot lately, starting to bounce back but still some big brown cripsy spots. Are the totally brown spots dead or will they come back. Am I going to have to repair the spots or will watering over time revive them.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:13 AM
LawnSite Member

pretty funny i did that same thing last year on my front lawn. water and time worked for me.
echo srm-225i
echo shc-225s
echo pb 250
echo srm 210
echo hc 155
(2)giant vac blowers
roto tiller
tons of hand tools
2008 Silverado
1999 chevy s10
2001 dodge ram
4x8 trailer

"a drunken mans words, are a sober mans thoughts.."

"Find joy in everything you choose to do. Every job, relationship, home... it's your responsibility to love it, or change it." -Chuck Palahniuk
Old 07-22-2012, 12:29 AM
LawnSite Member

Ive got patches of brown mixed with patches of green. Should I continue to mow or should I let everything get nice and tall to hold more moisture.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'd let it grow until it got top heavy then I'd trim off a little... You don't want grass to be toppling over on its neighbor... mow high until the weather cools...
Old 07-22-2012, 09:49 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

(HAD) a customer 3 years ago do this this to me.
He spent a lot of money on a 3/4 acre lawn.......all Bermuda grass. Took 3 months to get this lawn back into shape from the prior lawn service. After 3 apps of crabgrass control, then nutsedge control, we went into the season with fertilizers to encourage growth. Thicken the lawn up was the intended goal........then he went off for the 4th to his ozark mountain range cabin for a vacation. He was gone for 3 weeks and didn't water a single stitch. The lawn turned brown!!!! a week after the application of 34-0-0.......door tag was left and everything to water on his 3 day a week schedule. He shut down the irrigation, left the gates locked to the controller area, and left.
Needless-to-say the first word I posted is HAD. After his returning from vacation the results turned ugly and he was more than mad. He returned to his watering regimen and the lawn regained vigor and color as bermuda will do, then after two battles with armyworm.....................I ceased the services.

I guess if you are expecting hot temperatures as this years calendar of events is foretelling, then don't apply a full regimen........do a quarter of the application at a time until the season cools down. In my case, the customer should have been more informative before he left for 3 weeks.
Old 07-22-2012, 03:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Those mower tracks are called "heat tracks". It sometimes happens if the turf is mowed when it needs water or the leaf blades are in a wilted state. Not actually related to the fert that was applied. Plenty of water will bring it out of the condition. New grass has to come up from the crown or roots...takes about 3 weeks. Keep mowing as usual. You should know what spots will not come back by August 31--reseed then if needed.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Those mower tracks are called "heat tracks". It sometimes happens if the turf is mowed when it needs water or the leaf blades are in a wilted state. Not actually related to the fert that was applied. Plenty of water will bring it out of the condition. New grass has to come up from the crown or roots...takes about 3 weeks. Keep mowing as usual. You should know what spots will not come back by August 31--reseed then if needed.
Plenty of water doesn't always bring it back.....this if very common in our area.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=383643

Here is yesterday's discussion of the heat tracks problem.
Not pretty--customer is usually very unhappy. Mowing services hate when this happens.
Cutters cannot wait for best conditions. They go ahead even when it is hot.