Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-13-2012, 03:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zechstoker View Post
The advantages have always been clear as day to me, but it's just a matter of getting the boss to shell out the money for it. I keep hearing "we should get this, and we should get that" from him, but haven't seen any "action" as of yet. Last I heard, he dropped $800 on Thursday this past week for a couple Berchmeier backpack sprayers for my supervisor to use on his weed control accounts. At least someone's getting some upgrades around here. I'll get mine as well, all in due time.
Remind him this fall when equipment is typically less expensive. Two ways to pick up production, more people or better equipment.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Start another crew= take on more jobs.
Toro
STHIL
Shindawia
Western Salt Spreader
Billy Goat
Tomahawk

Minnesota certified pesticide applicator
NOT MY PRESIDENT!

Brotherhood 2000 plus fourteen
"The real lawn care Jesus"
Old 05-31-2012, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

As of Tuesday this week, we hired another guy. Currently, he's spending his workdays putting out flyers while he's either riding with me or my brother on our routes. We also have him helping out on the bigger jobs to break him in. Young guy at the age of 22, has a little experience in this industry, but seems like the type that catches on real fast to how we do things. Hopefully he continues to do us proud.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-01-2012, 06:59 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

you'd break him in faster if he helped on every job and wasn't passing out flyers which any dummy can do.

you'd also have a better chance of keeping him as an employee using him on every job. I'd quit after the first day of passing out flyers if I was hired by an LCO thinking I was gonna be cutting grass, trimming and blowing.

I think your doing it backwards. you should be getting cutting grass, trimming, etc so you, the owner, can pass out the flyers.

just my $0.02
Old 06-02-2012, 03:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The ad we posted that he responded to was for a soliciting/maintenance gardener position. He was told during the interview what his immediate duties would be, and he was fine with that. I think he was just happy for the opportunity to work and get off unemployment. This is how everyone starts out at this company. Soliciting is only temporary fortunately though. Gotta build more route so there's enough work to go around. That's our boss's way of doing things anyway. Not saying it's the smartest approach, but that's out of my hands.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-22-2012, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Well... 2 months later, and we're back to square-one. New guy quit as of this past Friday after receiving a job offer that's said to pay more. Seemed like it was only a matter of time as a lot of his friends kept offering him different jobs (which he'd been declining since he already landed the job with us). I haven't talked to my boss since Thursday last week, but I hear he's not currently interested in hiring anyone else to fill the position now.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Well... 2 months later, and we're back to square-one. New guy quit as of this past Friday after receiving a job offer that's said to pay more. Seemed like it was only a matter of time as a lot of his friends kept offering him different jobs (which he'd been declining since he already landed the job with us). I haven't talked to my boss since Thursday last week, but I hear he's not currently interested in hiring anyone else to fill the position now.
Depending on the kind of worker he is I would have ask him how much to keep him IF he's a good worker! easier than replacing him.
Old 07-23-2012, 12:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would've liked to have kept him on as he was a hard worker with a strong work ethic, but honestly... I don't think he was happy with the job. Right off the bat, he was disappointed that he wouldn't be doing install jobs because that's the kind of work he really enjoys. As a company, we do virtually no installation work. Just maintenance, weed control, fertilizing, light tree work, and cleanups. Aside from that let-down, he always complained about the heat, and also said he doesn't like to work outside when it's freezing outside. Considering this was his first legitimate job, I don't think he knew what he was getting into when he signed on. When he accepted this other job, I think higher pay was just the "cherry on top".
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-23-2012, 09:19 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I would've liked to have kept him on as he was a hard worker with a strong work ethic, but honestly... I don't think he was happy with the job. Right off the bat, he was disappointed that he wouldn't be doing install jobs because that's the kind of work he really enjoys. As a company, we do virtually no installation work. Just maintenance, weed control, fertilizing, light tree work, and cleanups. Aside from that let-down, he always complained about the heat, and also said he doesn't like to work outside when it's freezing outside. Considering this was his first legitimate job, I don't think he knew what he was getting into when he signed on. When he accepted this other job, I think higher pay was just the "cherry on top".
Posted via Mobile Device
"Likes doing installs, but doesn't like heat and cold"? Perfect if your landscaping the inside of shopping malls and hotels.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-23-2012, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
"Likes doing installs, but doesn't like heat and cold"? Perfect if your landscaping the inside of shopping malls and hotels.
Posted via Mobile Device
Haha, seriously!
Posted via Mobile Device