Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #91  
Old 05-13-2012, 03:16 PM
Duekster Duekster is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 7,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by zechstoker View Post
The advantages have always been clear as day to me, but it's just a matter of getting the boss to shell out the money for it. I keep hearing "we should get this, and we should get that" from him, but haven't seen any "action" as of yet. Last I heard, he dropped $800 on Thursday this past week for a couple Berchmeier backpack sprayers for my supervisor to use on his weed control accounts. At least someone's getting some upgrades around here. I'll get mine as well, all in due time.
Remind him this fall when equipment is typically less expensive. Two ways to pick up production, more people or better equipment.
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 05-13-2012, 08:52 PM
Glenn Lawn Care's Avatar
Glenn Lawn Care Glenn Lawn Care is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN
Posts: 2,590
Start another crew= take on more jobs.
__________________
'02 Ford F-250 5.4l8' unimount
Scag
Lesco
Toro
STHIL
Shindawia
Western Salt Spreader
Billy Goat
Tomahawk


Minnesota certified pesticide applicator
NOT MY PRESIDENT!

Brotherhood 2000 plus fourteen
"The real lawn care Jesus"
Reply With Quote
  #93  
Old 05-31-2012, 11:49 PM
zechstoker's Avatar
zechstoker zechstoker is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Modesto, CA
Posts: 975
As of Tuesday this week, we hired another guy. Currently, he's spending his workdays putting out flyers while he's either riding with me or my brother on our routes. We also have him helping out on the bigger jobs to break him in. Young guy at the age of 22, has a little experience in this industry, but seems like the type that catches on real fast to how we do things. Hopefully he continues to do us proud.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #94  
Old 06-01-2012, 06:59 AM
yardguy28 yardguy28 is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,465
you'd break him in faster if he helped on every job and wasn't passing out flyers which any dummy can do.

you'd also have a better chance of keeping him as an employee using him on every job. I'd quit after the first day of passing out flyers if I was hired by an LCO thinking I was gonna be cutting grass, trimming and blowing.

I think your doing it backwards. you should be getting cutting grass, trimming, etc so you, the owner, can pass out the flyers.

just my $0.02
Reply With Quote
  #95  
Old 06-02-2012, 03:15 AM
zechstoker's Avatar
zechstoker zechstoker is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Modesto, CA
Posts: 975
The ad we posted that he responded to was for a soliciting/maintenance gardener position. He was told during the interview what his immediate duties would be, and he was fine with that. I think he was just happy for the opportunity to work and get off unemployment. This is how everyone starts out at this company. Soliciting is only temporary fortunately though. Gotta build more route so there's enough work to go around. That's our boss's way of doing things anyway. Not saying it's the smartest approach, but that's out of my hands.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #96  
Old 07-22-2012, 08:47 PM
zechstoker's Avatar
zechstoker zechstoker is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Modesto, CA
Posts: 975
Well... 2 months later, and we're back to square-one. New guy quit as of this past Friday after receiving a job offer that's said to pay more. Seemed like it was only a matter of time as a lot of his friends kept offering him different jobs (which he'd been declining since he already landed the job with us). I haven't talked to my boss since Thursday last week, but I hear he's not currently interested in hiring anyone else to fill the position now.
__________________
Zech Stoker
est. 1983
Reply With Quote
  #97  
Old 07-22-2012, 11:58 PM
cpllawncare's Avatar
cpllawncare cpllawncare is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Greenville, SC
Posts: 2,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by zechstoker View Post
Well... 2 months later, and we're back to square-one. New guy quit as of this past Friday after receiving a job offer that's said to pay more. Seemed like it was only a matter of time as a lot of his friends kept offering him different jobs (which he'd been declining since he already landed the job with us). I haven't talked to my boss since Thursday last week, but I hear he's not currently interested in hiring anyone else to fill the position now.
Depending on the kind of worker he is I would have ask him how much to keep him IF he's a good worker! easier than replacing him.
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 07-23-2012, 12:42 AM
zechstoker's Avatar
zechstoker zechstoker is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Modesto, CA
Posts: 975
I would've liked to have kept him on as he was a hard worker with a strong work ethic, but honestly... I don't think he was happy with the job. Right off the bat, he was disappointed that he wouldn't be doing install jobs because that's the kind of work he really enjoys. As a company, we do virtually no installation work. Just maintenance, weed control, fertilizing, light tree work, and cleanups. Aside from that let-down, he always complained about the heat, and also said he doesn't like to work outside when it's freezing outside. Considering this was his first legitimate job, I don't think he knew what he was getting into when he signed on. When he accepted this other job, I think higher pay was just the "cherry on top".
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #99  
Old 07-23-2012, 09:19 AM
Patriot Services's Avatar
Patriot Services Patriot Services is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tampa FL
Posts: 8,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by zechstoker View Post
I would've liked to have kept him on as he was a hard worker with a strong work ethic, but honestly... I don't think he was happy with the job. Right off the bat, he was disappointed that he wouldn't be doing install jobs because that's the kind of work he really enjoys. As a company, we do virtually no installation work. Just maintenance, weed control, fertilizing, light tree work, and cleanups. Aside from that let-down, he always complained about the heat, and also said he doesn't like to work outside when it's freezing outside. Considering this was his first legitimate job, I don't think he knew what he was getting into when he signed on. When he accepted this other job, I think higher pay was just the "cherry on top".
Posted via Mobile Device
"Likes doing installs, but doesn't like heat and cold"? Perfect if your landscaping the inside of shopping malls and hotels.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 07-23-2012, 09:48 AM
zechstoker's Avatar
zechstoker zechstoker is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Modesto, CA
Posts: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
"Likes doing installs, but doesn't like heat and cold"? Perfect if your landscaping the inside of shopping malls and hotels.
Posted via Mobile Device
Haha, seriously!
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:37 AM.

Page generated in 0.07893 seconds with 9 queries