Register free!

Old 07-22-2012, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
You guys are funny.

I've got about $350 dollars I've spent on blades, plus two saws in the past 7 years........

Wrap that around your noodle.

What kind of volume are you doing?

Elves and Company - Holiday Decorating
Old 07-23-2012, 08:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birchwood View Post
What kind of volume are you doing?
Probably not nearly as much as a dedicated hardscaping company. But I do enough. https://www.facebook.com/Whitegardens/photos

But I do a lot of stone cutting through the season, either on natural stone work, brick edging, a random patio or retaining wall, etc.... There has been a few instances, such as a custom fire pit made from natural stone where I spent half a day cutting blocks for it and the hand saw worked just fine.

I just been using cheap electric saws. Been through two maybe three 30 dollar saws in the past 7 years. Along with the 10-15 dollar diamond blades that you can buy for them. 90% of the time it gets the job done as the blades are just deep enough to get through a paver.

I also like a hand saw over a chop saw as I get far better control on my cuts.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Hand saws? really have u ever used a demo saw?
Do u have any idea how much lonrger it takes to cut a paver one vs the other?
As far as blades go I have mix feelings once I bough a brand new hilti demo saw and came with one original blade it last me about 2x times longer than the cheap blades so I bough the same one again (so I tough) but this time it lasted the same
Old 07-23-2012, 01:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Our stone mason uses a hand saw. Really and truly is more productive. He can sit right where he is working and cut.

So many ways to do things. You can not be old and set in your ways like Zedo. Gotta have an open mind.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-23-2012, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Where I work the blades we get I believe run about $60.00 per diamond blade, but we buy them in mass quantities and probably go through a dozen or more per year.
As you can imagine, we cut...A LOT.
Once in a great while on a big commercial job we'll have two demo saws and a table saw running all day long.
As far as the quality of the blades we use, I think they are pretty decent. No complaints from me over a $60.00 blade.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:06 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
Our stone mason uses a hand saw. Really and truly is more productive. He can sit right where he is working and cut.

So many ways to do things. You can not be old and set in your ways like Zedo. Gotta have an open mind.
Posted via Mobile Device
My mind is always open and one thing I learned a long time ago Andrew is you get what you pay for. Cheap blades = longer cutting, more changing. Its just a fact, I chuckle when people think they are getting a deal.

These guys are all the same, they buy cheap blades, they buy cheap fuel, they buy cheap cars, trucks, no name label food, cheap jeans, shoes etc. And as this thread has proven... they still think they are better off doing it, they've completely convinced themselves that they are saving money. You're only fooling yourself not this "oldtimer"
Old 07-23-2012, 07:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedosix View Post
My mind is always open and one thing I learned a long time ago Andrew is you get what you pay for. Cheap blades = longer cutting, more changing. Its just a fact, I chuckle when people think they are getting a deal.

These guys are all the same, they buy cheap blades, they buy cheap fuel, they buy cheap cars, trucks, no name label food, cheap jeans, shoes etc. And as this thread has proven... they still think they are better off doing it, they've completely convinced themselves that they are saving money. You're only fooling yourself not this "oldtimer"
More changing? One bolt! Shoe-wee, that's a task isn't it!!! LOL

Have you ever used anything other than the over priced blades you get suckered into buying?

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-23-2012, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
More changing? One bolt! Shew, that's a task isn't it!!! LOL

Have you ever used anything other than the over priced blades you get suckered into buying?

Posted via Mobile Device
I have and thats why I know. More changing would include a drive to the brickyard or "Home depot" in your case.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AztlanLC View Post
Hand saws? really have u ever used a demo saw?
Do u have any idea how much lonrger it takes to cut a paver one vs the other?
Yep, I rent a chop saw whenever I need to, and that has been three times in 7 years.

Until the day comes where I need to use a demo saw on a regular basis, and the time saving to go rent one, versus having one on hand comes into play, then I'll drop the coin and get one.

The way I look at it, in 7 years I'm still 500-700 bucks short of having to justify buying a demo saw.

Quote:
And that's how I feel. I'm at least as productive or a shade under with a hand saw over a demo saw.

But, I will agree, to all you guys doing high volume paver work, A demo saw is probably the way to go.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:

Posted via Mobile Device
Please read and re-read this, those are words of wisdom hopefully you can apply them on yourself for future treads and replies.

If we are talking about cutting natural stone I agree an electric hand saw might be more productive but cutting pavers and retaining wall blocks I dont think so I know cause thats how I started hell I even used abrasive Blades couple of times all in the name of saving or not having enough money to buy the right equipment.