Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-19-2012, 06:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Who else has Chirstmas lights on their mind?

Hey guys it's been a while. I am moving into a nice size garage with lots of room for all of my stuff...my two sheds in the backyard aren't cutting it for space..I bought a 24x12 shed last summer and filled it up this past January with Christmas stuff. Anyone doing anything yet ...getting marketing together, commercial hunting...ordering supplies?..I am looking to get a nice stock of stock materials...last year I put in two or three orders and that killed me...looking forward to having my guys a bit more trained this year..not over loading circuits and having me drive around fixing...anywho..just wanted to touch base...3 months until installs/renews?..I am looking to get last years up asap...Middle of Octoberish..cheers
Old 07-20-2012, 07:02 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

We have orders in already.

A few customers have called looking for renewals, we will have them out August 1 (hopefully)

Behind on commercial prospecting (havent actually done any) because we are busier than usual this summer (thank goodness)

Started working on ads with one of my vendors this week. Looking into EDDM more seriously for a mailing this year.

Finally getting a rain day today so I will be sitting down and looking over last years good and bad to start gearing up for this year.

national conferences are next week, unable to attend any of them, very dissapointed as I hate missing all of them. Good time to catch up with fellow decorators and see whats new and start getting into the mind set of Christmas.

I am sure others are at different stages of gearing up but this is where we usually are this time of year...

Good luck filling up the new digs....
Old 07-22-2012, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Member

How do you guys sell hanging Christmas lights/decorations for customers? I'm in the Twin Cities, MN, and I am considering adding this service to my customers this winter season.

Do you price it by man hour + difficulty? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:21 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Okay, I am a newb to this side of things but have been reading a lot on here lately. At first I thought it was a service that only the elite wealthy would buy but now I think I'll give it a shot. It's true that no one wants to bother buying cords, lights, ladder and then trying to fix them all the time when they go out. I have a couple customers that I have hung THEIR lights for them in past years but I thing supplying my own would sell even better. I just joined up as an affiliate with a supply company and really looking forward to getting my feet wet this first season. The other good thing, is that our coverage area for this service could actually expand quite a ways further than our maintenance customers. I'm not expecting to make a killing, just hope to help cover costs and keep a few of my guys on longer into the winter time instead of having to lay them off after the fall. We will see.....good luck folks this year!
Old 07-23-2012, 07:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, I certainly have Christmas lights on my mind. This is our third season and I'm probably driving my wife about crazy by now just talking about it but I'm going out to Omaha this week for the convention and am super excited. Maybe I'll see some of you guys out there?
Old 07-23-2012, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansen's Lawn Care View Post
How do you guys sell hanging Christmas lights/decorations for customers? I'm in the Twin Cities, MN, and I am considering adding this service to my customers this winter season.

Do you price it by man hour + difficulty? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.
I hate to say this, but read thru this forum, there are different ways to do this, selling vs. renting plus much more. I dont know any "real" decorating company that provides anything by the hour. We rent our material but I prefer to sell it as an all inclusive decorating service. Others on here sell, but they also give price per item or price per job similar to how we price our service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachysLawn View Post
Yes, I certainly have Christmas lights on my mind. This is our third season and I'm probably driving my wife about crazy by now just talking about it but I'm going out to Omaha this week for the convention and am super excited. Maybe I'll see some of you guys out there?
Cant make it this year, wish I could. Next year....good luck this year..
Old 07-23-2012, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf hokie View Post
I hate to say this, but read thru this forum, there are different ways to do this, selling vs. renting plus much more. I dont know any "real" decorating company that provides anything by the hour. We rent our material but I prefer to sell it as an all inclusive decorating service. Others on here sell, but they also give price per item or price per job similar to how we price our service.

Cant make it this year, wish I could. Next year....good luck this year..
Okay thanks a lot man. I'll read through the forums.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Member

I've been anxiously awaiting the decorating season since the lights came down last year. I learned a lot in my first season and look forward to a great second season with more efficiency and, hopefully, not so many mistakes.

Right now I'm working on a letter for my existing customers with some discounts for early installs and friend referrals.

I'm also looking for some top quality greenery that comes in pure white LED. The Mixed Noble from Holidynamics is awesome, but it's only available in classic white. Any ideas?
Old 07-23-2012, 11:48 PM
LawnSite Member

There on my mind.

I have had 3 very good customers(all live in the same neighborhood they seem to talk to eachother about my services) ask me about if I could hang lights to this year. They all want something basic,nothing to fancy or nothing programmed or anything.

I am probably going to do it. I am not sure how ime gonna charge or anything but thats all to be figured out.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCut1 View Post
I've been anxiously awaiting the decorating season since the lights came down last year. I learned a lot in my first season and look forward to a great second season with more efficiency and, hopefully, not so many mistakes.

Right now I'm working on a letter for my existing customers with some discounts for early installs and friend referrals.

I'm also looking for some top quality greenery that comes in pure white LED. The Mixed Noble from Holidynamics is awesome, but it's only available in classic white. Any ideas?
The pure white is either a love it or hate it item around here. more hates than likes.....I dont have any ideas for you at this stage of the year with the pure white, I think Holidynamics is the only carrier that has that particular color especially if you want it on the greenery. I know it wont help this year, but I am sure Mike can get it special ordered for you if you do the early order program. We actually ordered some classic white items that they only stock in pure white.....

Are you sure it doesnt come in pure white? I swear I have some sticks of pure white MN garland still in the box in the warehouse...how much are you looking for?