Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-21-2012, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Entering the Lawn Mowing Industry

I'm retiring in two weeks. A career in car hauling has left me in a position less strong than I would have hoped for. I figured to start mowing the odd lawn next year. While looking on Craigslist for a "suitable" part time job, I came across an add pleading for someone to mow a lawn, right away. Today. This minute. In my town. The poster said it was small and wouldn't take long. I responded. 1 1/2 hours after I had responded, I was at the client's, home, done, and well paid. Every two weeks, I go back. Client seldom there, cash is in the watering can. I have an 8HP Craftsman Chipper, Shredder. Fairly rugged. I got it for 50 bucks. Same client, I've given her a new side yard. There is more to do. I'm the funny old man who does things. Her friends are interested in the harmless old coot who does such a nice job with his 21" high wheel
push mower. I can't wait for the next two weeks to end, so I can get busy at this. I tell everyone, " No job too small. " I secured a 1999 Murray 46" Widebody rider. It has a 42" Snow Blower. I also got a very lame Coleman trailer in the deal. It needs a deck, welding, and an axle. I might junk that. The rider needs work, too. But not much. I hope I can do everything with the pusher. There is great satisfaction in mowing a lawn. It always looks better after it has been mowed, no matter how crummy the equipment is. Or, how crummy the operator is.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I think you'll do fine, we all start somewhere and equipment comes with time. I used to work for a guy that gave his worker a 3 wheeled push mower to do a 5 acre cemetary Stick to the basics, do a good job for a decent price and the customers will come to you.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks. Kind words, indeed.