Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-23-2012, 02:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone running 72" Turf Tigers? Any scalping problems or other issues?

Is anyone running 72" Turf Tigers and are there any problems with them scalping or any other issues using a mower that large.

Scag mowers
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Blade Runners, LLC
Lawn Service Clarksville TN
Lawn Care Clarksville TN

"Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later."
-Og Mandino
Old 07-23-2012, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think that any 72" mower run on anything but an estate type lawn installed with a Harley rake is gonna scalp.Unless U are cutting at 3.5" or higher.
Old 07-24-2012, 12:19 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade Runners View Post
Is anyone running 72" Turf Tigers and are there any problems with them scalping or any other issues using a mower that large.
my old boss runs 3 72" turf tigers and no issues with scalping, only issue he has run into is he has some hills that are too steep for that machine. but that's why he runs 2 52" hydro walkbehinds. i worked for him for 2 summers, great machines, just gotta make sure whoever is operating them actually knows how to run a mower, i cut stuff where i had 2 ft of thet deck in the air and didn't scalp anything, and we used to cut everything at 3" or 3.25" and some stuff was pretty bumpy. if it would have fit on the trailer i have now, i would have gone with a 72" cheetah vs. a 61" because if a 61" doesn't fit then a 72" won't hurt you anymore, it will only speed things up. and for me i have quite a few properties where i have sections that are 75" wide and then there's a fence or sidewalk and with a 72" deck it would be 1 pass and the guy trimming would get the rest while doing the fence line and/or the edge vs. right now i have to make a 2nd pass get that extra 10" of grass that's uncut.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I mainly use 72" machines and I no longer use scag because of the scalping issue. Good machine but too long for my properties that we mow.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:11 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WREBELMACHINE View Post
I mainly use 72" machines and I no longer use scag because of the scalping issue. Good machine but too long for my properties that we mow.
what do you run a TANK?
Old 07-25-2012, 09:29 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

TT's are a very solid machine. If it scalps it's because you're not feathering the deck lift. Every mower will scalp depending on the conditions. Learn to use the deck lift when you feel it may scalp. My right foot never leaves the lift pedal regardless. I've learned to float the deck up in areas that I KNOW will scalp no matter what the approach is. These areas will scalp no matter what mower you're using. You can't just drop the deck to cut height and never lift it unless you're cutting a flat smooth area. Even then there might be a low spot where you have to feather the deck up a inch.
Old 07-25-2012, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

im with "orangemower", I always feather the deck on my 61's or 72 rider. I also have 2 72'' walkbehinds and have to light the fronts sometimes to keep them from scalping.
It also helps to pic the directions to mow in that work with the terrain of each property.