Register free!

Old 07-25-2012, 06:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
I know, no frayed edges next to the hardscape. Do this level of work and you are no longer in the same league of the low ball "landscaper". I will admit that it is fast and cheap to run rotary mowers, then use string to do the trim work. The results look fast and cheap as well on bermuda or zoysia.
Great call on the blade. I mean, it is like a reel on a stick. Keeps level with the areas that get cut with the reel and doesn't look like crap. Good for small patches of zoysia too where a reel is futile.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-25-2012, 06:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
Great call on the blade. I mean, it is like a reel on a stick. Keeps level with the areas that get cut with the reel and doesn't look like crap. Good for small patches of zoysia too where a reel is futile.
Posted via Mobile Device
Makes sense, doesn't it? I have to scratch my head in wonder when everyone mows with a Tru-Cut or McLane, then they trim with string. A reel mower on a stick is how I describe the finish to people if they never heard of the blade. I hope you used a stick edger for the cut next to the pavers. I really do not know what string is good for. On heavy weeds, my preference is for either the articulating hedge trimmer or the 32 tooth carbide saw.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 07-25-2012, 06:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Makes sense, doesn't it? I have to scratch my head in wonder when everyone mows with a Tru-Cut or McLane, then they trim with string. A reel mower on a stick is how I describe the finish to people if they never heard of the blade. I hope you used a stick edger for the cut next to the pavers. I really do not know what string is good for. On heavy weeds, my preference is for either the articulating hedge trimmer or the 32 tooth carbide saw.
Yup, stick-edger all the way.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-25-2012, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If this is the quality of work you do, you would fit in well in the multimillon dollar properties I service. I normally do not mow, but one property became mine to mow because I do not use string. The zoysia tenufolia was all torn up by string and the Emerald was not being cut with a reel. People keeping the string for hacking down weeds does not happen very often here either.

Old 07-25-2012, 06:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I'm feeling like a hack...a scab...low quality output low baller...

Seriously, I'd like to own a counter rotating blade trimmer but my only reel mowed account is my home and I've designed the turf areas to not require trimming, only edging.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-25-2012, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
If this is the quality of work you do, you would fit in well in the multimillon dollar properties I service. I normally do not mow, but one property became mine to mow because I do not use string. The zoysia tenufolia was all torn up by string and the Emerald was not being cut with a reel. People keeping the string for hacking down weeds does not happen very often here either.
Yup, I cut all sports turf with reel, use the blade, hand prune most plants, etc. I do use string trimmers on st aug cause quite honestly, those properties don't pay enough for ne to use the blade, and it doesn't look bad like on sports turf. Thing is though, all the companies in the high-end areas use reels. I have yet to see them use the blade though...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-25-2012, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
I'm feeling like a hack...a scab...low quality output low baller...

Seriously, I'd like to own a counter rotating blade trimmer but my only reel mowed account is my home and I've designed the turf areas to not require trimming, only edging.
Posted via Mobile Device
Your good then...if you only have to edge it's all good.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-25-2012, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Your good then...if you only have to edge it's all good.
Posted via Mobile Device
Ok...I feel a little better!

I even moved my mailbox to the property line where there is no turf.

For all my customers it's trimmer guards off and 2' of string!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-25-2012, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
Ok...I feel a little better!

I even moved my mailbox to the property line where there is no turf.

For all my customers it's trimmer guards off and 2' of string!
Posted via Mobile Device
But the fact u don't use a walker to cut Bermuda is appalling.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-25-2012, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Yup, I cut all sports turf with reel, use the blade, hand prune most plants, etc. I do use string trimmers on st aug cause quite honestly, those properties don't pay enough for ne to use the blade, and it doesn't look bad like on sports turf. Thing is though, all the companies in the high-end areas use reels. I have yet to see them use the blade though...
Posted via Mobile Device
They just do not know and I think Kawasaki and Maruyama need to do a better job of promoting their fine machine. Another advantage of the blade is the safety to surrounding objects. Cracking a $500 piece of glass or putting a chip in a $200,000 Bentley soon negates any profit made by doing the job fast and cheap with string.