Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-26-2012, 10:40 AM
Sponsor

Are the Electric Trimmers catching on?

Now days with all the new emission control laws taking into place, more and more companies are coming out with electric trimmers.
Years ago these trimmers would have to be plugged in to a 100' electric cord just to make it down your driveway and half the way around your house. After a few years, and with the development of rechargable NiMH/NiCd batteries, electric trimmers have become more popular by many homeowners but because of their short running life they weren't overly popular with commercial landscaping and lawncare professionals.
Today, the Lithium Ion battery has changed the way many professionals are looking at Rechargable Electric Trimmers and other hand held power equipment. A Lithium Ion battery can carry higher voltage, hold a charge longer, and unlike previous batteries maintaine the voltage longer while being used without experiencing Power Fade. Some of these batteries can hold charges for weeks and even last up to 9 hours of use on a single charge.
Would this added opperation time interest more commercial businesses out there?

Just to name a few companies that carry what they call commercial quality electric trimmers are:

Worx-
Weedeater
Craftsman
Black & Decker
Toro
Ryobi
Earthwise
Powerhouse
Greenworks

Do any of you professionals use electric trimmers?
If so what brands do you prefere?
Have you heard of any of these brands?
Would you be interested in testing one first hand?

Let me know what some of you think and share your opinions.

Thanks,
Blake
Landscaper Pro

GOT A QUESTION?? Call us anytime 1-800-222-4303 Mon-Fri 8-5 EST

*** LAWNSITE members save $20 off any order of $100 or more,
Click Here or use "lawnsite" (in lowercase) when checking out***
Old 07-26-2012, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Member

It would be quite a change for us to use non gas trimmers. Battery or whatever power source would have to be light and last just as long as the gas mix would. Time is very valuable to us, but we are always open to new ideas and changes.
Old 07-26-2012, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

electric.....we are in the design stage of going all electric with a real commercial crew...what we have come up with so far is this: a 20ft enclosed trailer..5 - 65watt solar panels on roof as well as 4 small hamster wheel type wind generators to charge a deep cycle battery bank of at least 4 large deep cycle batteries....would also be able to plug in chargers overnight while back in shop....these batteries would in turn then keep all hand helds charged...we have figured that each piece of equipment would need multiple batteries of their own to change out and charge during the day in the field...we have not yet decided or tried any equipment as of yet....as for the mowers, we are designing a walk behind mower to hopefully be able to run at full speed and power for at least 8 hrs a day on golf cart batteries (would have to also swap out during the day) we are committed to finding a realistic way to get off of fossil fuel at an affordable cost.....we would also have to have gas back up in case things dont quite work out until systems are actually put to the test and any issues resolved.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Even thoe battery tech is good I dont think its good enough for me as a commerical user to go buy a electric trimmer.

I think there good for homeowners but I dont see it in commerical use.

I have a gas one that works good for now so Ile keep it a while longer is my plan. Even then I want stihl gas powered.