Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-13-2012, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Member

expanding into commercial accounts from nothing / newbie!!

being thats its in the middle of the season...

whats the best way to get more customers right now? is it possible?

im looking to get more contracts then a btt (by the trip) deal, what are good ways to do this or is it better to keep the btt then contracted price for the year?

would like to get more commercial accounts, like apt complex or business.

my father does mainenance for a lady that owns about 10 apt complexs around the county, i would say the 2 farthest ones are about 15-20 miles apart , so whats the best way to go about this... ive never put a bid in on a commercial account and i have no idea what to charge and i have no idea what she pays now... would it be rude of me to ask her how much she pays the current , or should i just put a bid in on what i feel is good for my time and effort and go from there. i am completly lost on this topic, should i wait until next year bc of the current contract or talk to her now?

ideas?
Old 07-13-2012, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Most places have a yearly/multi year contract, which is signed in later winter/early spring. Its going to be tough to get any decent commercial accounts this late in the game.
2010 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
2009 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
Hurricane blower video Here
Old 07-14-2012, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Member

I just went around town the other day and passed out business cards. I am not expecting nothing big to happen. Just letting people know that I am in business. This late in the season, nothing will probably come of it, but there is always next year. I haven't had much experience in the way of commercial property, but I would just break it down into smaller portions, the way you would any thing else. I know how big a 35 dollar yard is, and then I just take that and "count" how many 35 dollar yards there are on the commercial account. It sounds nuts, but it has worked for a couple times before. Best of luck.
Old 07-16-2012, 04:23 AM
LawnSite Member

wow i wouldve never thought to break it down to "$35 size" that sounds good, i was going to just hand out flyers and business cards as well too and see where that goes

thanks
Old 07-16-2012, 05:52 AM
LawnSite Member

you got to put your self out there.find a way to let the people know that your here to stay and keep the quality up they will come to you
Old 07-16-2012, 05:56 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chagh2.0 View Post
you got to put your self out there.find a way to let the people know that your here to stay and keep the quality up they will come to you
A man that never takes a chance never had a chance
Old 07-26-2012, 03:14 PM
Sponsor

Make use of your network of family and friends who work in a commercial building. Do research on the companies you are looking at. For instance are they locally owned and is their property already well maintained(do they take pride in in their property). If you still do not know who to contact from networking or research you can call the company, explain your situation, and ask to be directed to the right person. You may choose to introduce yourself to the company by sending a letter of interest. Once you’ve set a meeting, demonstrate your knowledge through a professional, well-rounded portfolio or brochure. Even if you haven’t serviced commercial properties before, you can still make an impression with photographs of the large residential properties you’ve worked on. In the meeting, demonstrate that you have long-term plans to meet the landscaping needs of their property. Set a specific date and time that you will follow up with a quote, and then stick to your word. Don’t keep them waiting—be sure you get back to them within a couple of days. At the same time, don’t be too pushy or bother business owners at busy times, like Monday mornings.

Tags
commercial account , help a newbie , newbie