Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-07-2011, 12:41 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

getting retail business in Christmas lights is pretty tough when you go after it. I have tried. but they do come to me from all the other advertising mentioned above. truck advertising, lawn signs, postcards, all those advertising methods that land in high value homes and neighborhoods, many of those folks own the commercial buildings. That is how we have gotten most of our commercial side.
Old 08-14-2011, 01:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Nice ..thanks David for all your insight...that is how I landed a jewlery store in town..did the guys house and he had us do his business. When do you guys start stocking up on materials?...
Old 08-14-2011, 04:40 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

we buy a container of HBL product every other year, and we order product as we need it from HBL, Litresource, etc. I truly stock up on c-9 cord and bulbs by Nov 1. But for my business size, I never let it get below 3-4 spools and 6 cases of bulbs. we will go through a few cases of bulbs at least on replacements and broken bulbs. I would try to have at least 2 of each size of wreath- 30" doors, 36", 48" 5 ft, 6 ft, 7ft before Nov. 1 and then order as you sell them. we keep far more than that from our container order. but that way if you get to the install before they are shipped you have them. male and female slider plugs are always good to have around, we keep at least 100 each, and I keep at least a dozen of each size of extension cords til Nov 1, and then try to keep 36 of each size til Dec. 1. ( or 12 on each truck of each size.) I'd have a case of garland on hand at all times and order as you sell. we keep 100 boxes of clear mini's on hand as well, and bump to 300 boxes on Nov. 1 til Dec 1.

but try to remember these guidlines are for my volume, maybe not yours. we are trying to close 50 new jobs this year, and on average that would be 500 extension cords, 100 timers, about 75 strands of garland, 50 wreaths and about 12-15 spools of c-9 cord.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am pretty much going to stick with the different size wreaths...gilbert plugs..different extension line...and all the other basic stuff...I tested the waters last year and booked 7 jobs...I am looking for 15-20 this year...and if more ...then more the merrier..
Old 07-28-2012, 12:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Posted via Mobile Device