Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-21-2012, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAMPTON ROADS LAWN CARE View Post
Well with out giving away 2 much of my background I did 11 years in the Military and had a business @ almost duty station and before I got out I had one and did it legit LISC/INS ETC....... and so I got most of my growing pains from there!!!

But that CL $25 cut was nuts!!!...........Every time I would get like 10-15 calls the first day but most wanted it done today or tomorrow......also I set the cap @ 8k SQFT lots.

Most were looking for that quick score and dident have $$ for lawn care.....lol

So I took a L here and there but in the big picture i was grossing about 4k a month for everything I was doing because I would list all of our services and some would ask for tree trimming or shrubs or maybe a mulch job it all played out one way or another also I got in good with the mulch folks and they were givng my card to all of the customers which got me about 12 jobs (but still $$ commin in) and I will say never ever ever ever do a special for more than 2 cuts you will regret it trust me!!!!!!!

Great points...

What branch of service were you in? I was active duty Air Force for 6 years.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Well first I will say that what has worked for me in my area may or may not work for yall!!!

First WE DO AN EXCEPTIONAL JOB AT EVERY ACCOUNT!!!

Secondly I will start by saying that I am a very outgoing person and love talking to folks so anytime I go some where I tend to give folks my card and tell them I would like to give an estimate even if they have someone who cuts it or even if they do it them selfs just in case anything were to come up they would know how to call. I have talked to my kids teachers, neigboors, friends, my barber, wifes co-workers and just about anyone to let them know I cut crass and would love to do thiers.

Third I ran deal after deal on CL doin a $25 one time cut over and over and this generated about 35 weekly accounts for me in about a month.

Fourth I visited about every nail shop, hair salon, spa, tanning salon etc in about a 35 sq mile area and dropped off cards and talked to them because the women is the key to sucess!!!

Fifth I sold my soul and did a deal on Living Social I lost $$$ but got 43 solid accounts from them that have stayed with me out of the almost 150 I serviced!

I would be here all night to explain alot more in depth but this is the top layer to what has worked for me!!!!

Good luck to yall and wish yall lots of sucess!!!!
To re-ederate pt-1

That was my first 2 weeks with living social!!!!

No wonder they wont leave me alone to keep comming back.......... but then again...........

Old 07-22-2012, 12:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansen's Lawn Care View Post
Great points...

What branch of service were you in? I was active duty Air Force for 6 years.
Navy made Chief in 9 years (e-7) i was lovin life but then again woke up 1 day tired of deployments and all the bull of the new navy and said my family meant more to me and here I am.....lol

So you know about attetion to detail as most of these lco's dont and thats what makes us stand out from the rest!!!!

I would say you knew about grindin and bustin ya tail but then again you was air force lol one of my helpers is a air force weekend warrior and boy I will tell you yall got it made I joined the wrong branch.......LMAO

(even though I screened to be a paratrooper til I lost my mom to cancer and I said hell with it and joined the navy 4 years later lol)

Old 07-22-2012, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Navy made Chief in 9 years (e-7) i was lovin life but then again woke up 1 day tired of deployments and all the bull of the new navy and said my family meant more to me and here I am.....lol

So you know about attetion to detail as most of these lco's dont and thats what makes us stand out from the rest!!!!

I would say you knew about grindin and bustin ya tail but then again you was air force lol one of my helpers is a air force weekend warrior and boy I will tell you yall got it made I joined the wrong branch.......LMAO

(even though I screened to be a paratrooper til I lost my mom to cancer and I said hell with it and joined the navy 4 years later lol)
LOL...attention to detail is key. I'd have to say I must not have experienced what your helper experienced in the military. I've been stationed overseas and stateside with all branches of the military and we always worked harder and more hours than the rest of the branches...maybe it was just my career field.

One time in Jordan the Air Force opened up and closed 3 different bases throughout the country within 145 days. each base had anywhere from 5-7 thousand people. As standard 12-14 hour days were the norm, but one time we worked that for 40 days straight...not a single day off.

Weekend warrior? Yeah not for me, not for my career field. The Air Force could possibly be the most "attention oriented" branch in the U.S. Military. that's no sting to the other branches...we have to be flying billion dollar jets around...not to mention strapped with bombs, but yet the Navy does a great share of flying too!

Anyways, that was my Air Force experience, a lot of work! That's why running your own business is not very difficult after being in charge of a bunch of troops! LOL...
Old 07-23-2012, 01:51 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

So the CL ad was $25 any cut under 8000 sq ft, regardless of where it was at and how tall it was? You got rly lucky with Craigslist ppl actually signing on with weekly service. What was your living social deal?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-27-2012, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansen's Lawn Care View Post
LOL...attention to detail is key. I'd have to say I must not have experienced what your helper experienced in the military. I've been stationed overseas and stateside with all branches of the military and we always worked harder and more hours than the rest of the branches...maybe it was just my career field.

One time in Jordan the Air Force opened up and closed 3 different bases throughout the country within 145 days. each base had anywhere from 5-7 thousand people. As standard 12-14 hour days were the norm, but one time we worked that for 40 days straight...not a single day off.

Weekend warrior? Yeah not for me, not for my career field. The Air Force could possibly be the most "attention oriented" branch in the U.S. Military. that's no sting to the other branches...we have to be flying billion dollar jets around...not to mention strapped with bombs, but yet the Navy does a great share of flying too!

Anyways, that was my Air Force experience, a lot of work! That's why running your own business is not very difficult after being in charge of a bunch of troops! LOL...
Exactly! You hit the nail on the head!

Old 07-27-2012, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JContracting View Post
So the CL ad was $25 any cut under 8000 sq ft, regardless of where it was at and how tall it was? You got rly lucky with Craigslist ppl actually signing on with weekly service. What was your living social deal?
Posted via Mobile Device
Well I have about a 40 mile area I cover I always say just the peninsula.

But yeah if thier lawn is over grown I always tell them that it will be more.

Just ran another ad 2 days ago and picked up another 4 yards but too bad they are bi-weeklys.

Old 07-28-2012, 01:47 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

How did your listing look on living social, can you send a link or c/p the details of it, I'm thinking of doing one.
Posted via Mobile Device