Register free!

Old 07-24-2012, 04:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Who has used & tested SumaGreen besides...

When a search is done using SumaGreen,you can find Lawn 132012 in about every thread. Yet there is little testimony besides Lawn's 132012 brief expressions of "Try SumaGreen!" except that it has been through many studies. Before I try out the SumaGreen product can anyone direct to more supporting evidence. Can anyone share who these people are that developed the product. I wonder how well this one product (apart from a little N ) can supply and maintain a good environment for the soil.
Old 07-24-2012, 06:27 PM
LawnSite Member

I have been using Holganix and no I am not a Holganix supplier. I am considering switching to SumaGreen and in the meantime doing homework. This year I have used Holganix and stopped doing synthetic fertilizers to about 3/4 of my customers. I have seen good results especially in shrub foliar sprays but hardly can go by one season with the weather being as it has. Reduced chemicals usage and have had good results.
Here is a comparison my Holganix rep. sent after I expressed my interest in SumaGreen.
Holganix
Holganix SumaGreen
Active Bio-Nutrients yes no
Kelp yes no
Gluten yes no
Endo Mycorrhizae yes no
Ecto Mycorrhizae yes no
Nitrogen Fixing Bacteria yes yes
Normal Flora yes no
Protozoa yes no
Nematodes non-parastic yes no
Tea Tree Oil yes no
Brewer's yeast yes no
Molasses yes no
Corn syrup yes no
Yucca extract yes no
Milky Spore yes no
Amino acid yes yes
Chitin yes no
Auxins yes no
Streptomyes yes no
Trichoderma yes no
Secondary & Micro Nutrients yes no
(Calcium,Copper,Zinc,Iron,Molybdenum,Boron,Magnesium)

There you have it. I must say I am impressed. Whether the amounts are sufficient,effective that I don't know and will need to go by results over time if I continue with Holganix . I know Holganix works better if there is some measure of food for the microbes to feed on. I will be working on training my customers to mulch clippings,proper watering (most all my customers have irrigation which can easily trump my efforts) and push more compost topdressing and compost tea and other inoculates.
If I stay with Holganixs it will cost more than SumaGreen or synthetic fertilizer but this year I had a blessing in disguise. I lost two of my three employees in one day and the only way to make it was to combine treatments which saved me lots of labor costs. Fortunately my employee of 13 years was still on board and so with that adjustment I am probably doing well if not better.
By the way the refrigeration part is nice. They loaned me a nice looking commercial stainless steel refrigerator. It's not a hassle when they deliver it at no cost.
Perhaps I'll go 1/3 SumaGreen to save a little money,a smaller amount synthetic (have a lot of prep[aid fertilizer to rid) and the rest Holganix. Time will tell but I hope some others could chime in.

Humic and Fulvic Acids YES

Kelp

Gluten

Endo Mycorrhizae

Ecto Mycorrhizae

Nitrogen Fixing Bacteria

Normal Flora

Protozoa

Nematodes non-parasitic

Tea Tree Oil

Brewer’s Yeast

Molasses

Corn syrup

Yucca Extract

Milky Spore

Amino Acid

Chitin YES

Auxins

Streptomyces YES

Trichoderma

Secondary & Micro Nutrients: YES
Calcium, Copper, Zinc, Iron, Molybdenum, Boron, Magnesium

Sumagreen

YES

NO

YES

YES

YES

YES

YES

YES

YES

YES

YES

YES

YES

YES

YES

YES

YES

YES

NO

YES

NO

NO

NO

NO

YES

NO

NO

NO

NO

NO

NO

NO

NO

NO

YES

NO

YES

NO

NO

NO

Holganix Components

Active Bio-Nutrients

Extracted from plant based compost, contains indigenous beneficial micro-organisms
which suppress disease and convert nutrients to a plant usable form

Humic and Fulvic Acids Extract from young peat bog - increases aerobic respiration and increases fertilizer
efficiency

Kelp

Gluten

Endo Mycorrhizae

Ecto Mycorrhizae

Nitrogen Fixing Bacteria

Normal Flora

Protozoa

Nematodes

Tea Tree Oil

Brewer’s Yeast

Molasses

Corn syrup

Yucca Extract

Milky Spore

Amino Acid

Chitin Suppress disease and destructive nematodes; increases cell wall thickness

Auxins

Streptomyces Bacteria to fight soil borne diseases, Pythium, Rhizoctonia, Helminthosporium, Sclerotinia, Root
Rot, etc.

Trichoderma

Secondary and Micro Nutrients:
Calcium, Copper, Zinc, Iron, Molybdenum, Boron, Magnesium

Increases fertilizer efficiency

Pre-emergent Enhancer - increases flexibility in the soil

Helps to develop root systems and increase water and nutrient uptake

Helps to develop root systems and increase water and nutrient uptake

For nitrification process of fertilizers and nutrients locked in the soil chemistry

Bacteria that help fight off disease pathogens

Break down organic materials into nutrients

Beneficial Nematodes aid in fighting off insects

Natural disease and insect suppression

Simple Carbohydrates that aid in rooting and available food source

Food source for micro-organisms

Food source for micro-organisms

Natural spreader sticker and wetting agent, soil conditioner

Grub suppression

Critical to cell formation and protein synthesis

Natural plant growth regulator that increases plant density

Fungi - fights root diseases i.e. Phytrophtora, Pythium, Fusarium & Dollar Spot
Old 07-24-2012, 06:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Woops. On that last post know that the Holganix gets the first "yes or no" and SumaGreen the second "yes or no". In other words SumaGreen only had 3 "yes" and Holganix 22. And then the stuff written after was all the Holganix components and what they do but it did not copy and paste correctly. Sorry bout that.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Guess I'll try it myself next round and then Can share my comparisons.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:39 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by replenish&subdue View Post
Guess I'll try it myself next round and then Can share my comparisons.

I will be the "crash test dummy" for warm season turf. I noticed you can buy a half gallon for $37.95 on their website. I'll order this weekend. I'm sure it will take a few days to get here which is just as well. Our highs this next week will range between 101 and 108 degrees each day with Wednesday being forecast at 108. Only God knows what the Heat Index will be that day.

I've got the perfect strip of the crappiest soil that has an even weed free coverage of thin common bermuda. It's thin even when we're not in drought due to the lousy soil.

I'll measure out 1K and divide it evenly 4 ways. I'll spray it all with 2oz/k of the Sumagreen. Then I'll spray half of it (500 ft sq) with .71875 oz or 1/8lb per K of 46-0-0 Urea. I'll use a clean Echo Backpack with a flat fan nozzle to apply. I'll water 2 of the four plots as evenly as possible given what I have here to use. One that has the Urea and one that doesn't. The other 2 plots will only receive water via rainfall. I'll also have a control area where nothing is done. There have been very isolated, sporadic thunderstorms every few days(10-20% chances) with 97-105 degree temps daily for the last month. We' ve had 18 triple digit days this summer. We are in the grip of a terrible drought here in Central Arkansas to be sure.

I've treated lawns for 22 yrs now. I've heard about, read about and on a couple of occasions even ended up buying and trying what I later considered to be "snake oil", given the results I observed. Liquid Aeration was one such experience. I try to be fair and objective and I promise I do not "sugar coat" anything. I'll give my honest opinion and when I run this comparison, I'll take photos and get help to post them along with info about the care or lack thereof each has received.

I've never done organics myself but have seen firsthand the positive results of a compost top dressing earlier this season on a zoysia/bermuda mix lawn. I'm open to new possibilties if they produce results.

I'll see what happens. And when done, I'lll also know whether applying low volume is a viable option. If it works, I'd sure like to be able to apply with my Z-spray.

"Opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"- Thomas Edison, businessman/inventor

Last edited by ted putnam; 07-28-2012 at 02:46 AM.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:33 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted putnam View Post
I will be the "crash test dummy" for warm season turf. I noticed you can buy a half gallon for $37.95 on their website. I'll order this weekend. I'm sure it will take a few days to get here which is just as well. Our highs this next week will range between 101 and 108 degrees each day with Wednesday being forecast at 108. Only God knows what the Heat Index will be that day.

I've got the perfect strip of the crappiest soil that has an even weed free coverage of thin common bermuda. It's thin even when we're not in drought due to the lousy soil.

I'll measure out 1K and divide it evenly 4 ways. I'll spray it all with 2oz/k of the Sumagreen. Then I'll spray half of it (500 ft sq) with .71875 oz or 1/8lb per K of 46-0-0 Urea. I'll use a clean Echo Backpack with a flat fan nozzle to apply. I'll water 2 of the four plots as evenly as possible given what I have here to use. One that has the Urea and one that doesn't. The other 2 plots will only receive water via rainfall. I'll also have a control area where nothing is done. There have been very isolated, sporadic thunderstorms every few days(10-20% chances) with 97-105 degree temps daily for the last month. We' ve had 18 triple digit days this summer. We are in the grip of a terrible drought here in Central Arkansas to be sure.

I've treated lawns for 22 yrs now. I've heard about, read about and on a couple of occasions even ended up buying and trying what I later considered to be "snake oil", given the results I observed. Liquid Aeration was one such experience. I try to be fair and objective and I promise I do not "sugar coat" anything. I'll give my honest opinion and when I run this comparison, I'll take photos and get help to post them along with info about the care or lack thereof each has received.

I've never done organics myself but have seen firsthand the positive results of a compost top dressing earlier this season on a zoysia/bermuda mix lawn. I'm open to new possibilties if they produce results.

I'll see what happens. And when done, I'lll also know whether applying low volume is a viable option. If it works, I'd sure like to be able to apply with my Z-spray.
Ted, sent yo a PM

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 07-28-2012, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasthound View Post
Ted, sent yo a PM
Back at ya Barry
Thanks

"Opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"- Thomas Edison, businessman/inventor
Old 07-30-2012, 02:04 AM
LawnSite Member

I purchased Sumagreen at the beginning of summer. I live in Memphis and have a Bermuda lawn without irrigation. I have applied sumagreen to my lawn at the recommended label rates for 3 apps. The lawns that I am paid to maintain I have still been using the synthetic granular fert. I seldom water my own lawn and I do not have the time or patience to complete a comparison as Ted described above. It will be great to hear the results. As for my results. I do not get the quick green-up like we are all familiar with from a synthetic fert. However, my lawn is equally as green when compared to my lawns that I maintain except for the lawns who's homeowners religiously water and make sure that their entire lawn is receiving at least 1 to 2 inches of water per week. And I am serious about this amount. They have water bills ranging between $200-$300 per month and I am not willing to do this. The last 6 weeks have been pretty dry and very hot. Mixed in were a few days of light rain with a few days with temps 88-90 but overall not much rain and above 94 everyday. With this weather there are some areas in my lawn that are definitely looking like they need some water and no matter what I put on them, without water they are going to turn brown and crunchy. I am not convinced enough to do away with traditional fert but I do like having it as an option and will continue to use it on my lawn as a continued test. When I first found out about Sumagreen I was put in contact with a gentleman who was starting to use Sumagreen in his operation but was combining Urea in the early growing months to get that green kick. He was pretty happy but said he will continue to add the Urea for the kick. I haven't spoken with him since the hot temps and dry weather to see what he is doing currently. When talked to the company prior to ordering my first batch they gave me good info about how this all came about but I would totally screw the story up if I tried to tell it. On a side not I am not a dealer, rep, or have any relationship with Sumagreen other than the credit card transaction I had when paying full price. My info isn't scientific by any means but I hope it gives you a little bit to go off of!!!

Cheers
Old 07-30-2012, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Bike Pilot I have fertilizer for sale in Memphis (32-3-11)

I used Holganix this year and want to compare with SumaGreen this next treatment, Still using some synthetic as comparison. As a result I have too much 32-3-11 and some other blends.
By the way, I also have a fiberglass split tank (200/100) with hypro pump & honda as well as Turfco aerators for sale.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:03 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by replenish&subdue View Post
I used Holganix this year and want to compare with SumaGreen this next treatment, Still using some synthetic as comparison. As a result I have too much 32-3-11 and some other blends.
By the way, I also have a fiberglass split tank (200/100) with hypro pump & honda as well as Turfco aerators for sale.

...and how's that comparison with standard ferts going for you?? As the crow flies, I'm not that far from Memphis. I am 40 miles north of Little Rock. Weather conditions should be very comparable for you and I. How are your unirrigated lawns holding up to the "Ring of Fire" the weather channel keeps talking about? Has the Holganix helped.